The Shepherd's Dog review by Iron & Wine

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
Iron & Wine: The Shepherd's Dog

My first impression of this album was a very good one indeed. The intensity off all the songs combined with the amount of instruments perfectly fitting together and Sam Beam's unique voice gave me an impression that this was one of the best albums's I've listened to. It's quite difficult to describe the music in a genre, it's not folk, perhaps indie folk, but it is just generally beautiful. There's so many layers of instruments you can listen to the song a hundred times and still hear new parts. Amazing.

I tend not to focus too much on the lyrics of artists and their songs, but Iron and Wine certainly caught my eye. Song's such as "Resurrection Fern", "Boy With A Coin" and "White Tooth Man" have such deep lyrics, I feel I can relate to them, and they're very creative and metaphorical. Beautiful lyrics.

My overall impression of this album is that it's one of Sam Beam's best efforts, perhaps more manufactured sounding in that it doesn't have the lo-fi tone like the album "The Creek Drank The Cradle", but nonetheless extremely good. If I lost this album I would most definitely go to buy it again.

Dark_Althalus
    Love Iron and Wine, i have been a fan ever since i heard passing afternoon. Gotta check out this album actually, nice review, kinda short though.
    Satch_Boogie
    pigmaggots
    Satch_Boogie wrote: My main comment is that Indie is not a genre you idiot.
    -cough- you're a tool -cough-
    death_rider
    pigmaggots wrote: Satch_Boogie wrote: My main comment is that Indie is not a genre you idiot. -cough- you're a tool -cough-
    It's not, it seems you are the tool and all those shit pop/rock bands that call themselves indie are tools too
    MoonBoots432
    Indie is a word both used to describe independent artists and as a genre. Indie is used to separate it from alternative, and while it was not initially a genre, it has grown in to one. Those "shit pop/rock bands" that use the term indie refer to the first and initial meaning. Suck a butt.
    UnsignedRecords
    ... anyway, i need to give this album a listen for sure. i kinda like the analog 8track sound of the creek drank the cradle, but this one should prove to be good as well.
    Nicoli64
    Satch_Boogie wrote: My main comment is that Indie is not a genre you idiot. Good album and decent review otherwise.
    No indie by itself is not a genre, but using it as a prefix show that the band is independently sign, not under a major label. It also is used to distinguish between the main-stream form of the genre, and a more independent sound.
    philfie
    ever since i first heard his songs on the movie in good company ive been in love ever since
    persevvere
    This is an amazing album, the best he had made so far imho. You can see how he grows as an artist, using more sophisticated sound. Lyrics are still just amazing, he is truly a genius in that department.