Panopticon review by ISIS

• Released: Oct 19, 2004
ISIS: Panopticon

Ethereal and heavy. It just engulfs you in a wall of sound. The album title refers to a prison design, and thats what it seems like, the entire album just closes you into this bipolar trance of beauty and power. Although the vocals are sparse, the instruments play an emotional role themselves. Heavy guitar, brooding drums, and amazing bass playing (see "Altered Course") are all in store for you in the beautiful soundscape that is this album.

Almost impossible to decipher behind the music. I'm not sure of what Aaron Turner is actually saying so I cannot give you an opinon. The main focus of this album is the instrumentals.

This is album is in a growing but unpopular genre. Isis is omong the elite in the "metal/hardcore" subgenre of "noise rock" and it is showcased well on this album. Every song is different yet it is all one cohesive project and seems to flow as such. Definitly a deeper experiance than most music that is out right now. The talent and musicianship will be apprecaited by any musician and I recommend you pick it up or give it a listen at there website.