Panopticon review by ISIS

• Released: Oct 19, 2004
ISIS: Panopticon

If there is Isis playing in a room, you can tell. Their sound is slow and grinding. They basically took the style of Neurosis and expanded upon it. Almost everything is played in 4/4, which normally I wouldn't be too crazy about, but they just wouldn't be Isis if they made it too technical. My only complaint is that the drummer never really adds anything to the music on this album.

Not the greatest part of the whole. Aaron Turner rarely actually sings melodically on the album, but you can definitely see the vocal progression in contrast with the previous albums. The Lyrics are really hard to understand, which doesn't bother me that much, I'm used to it by now.

I'd say this is their best album yet. The highlights of the album have to be "So Did We," "In Fiction," and "Wills Dissolve." I love the way this album makes me feel. It's depressing and uplifting at the same time. I would definitely buy this album again if it were lost or stolen.

DWAUME
    The vocals fit the music very well. Also, the lyrics aren't accidentally hard to understand. In the booklet, there are quotes in lieu of actual lyrics, and presumably one is supposed to meditate on those quotes while listening to the album.
    Tedward
    I cant wait until it arrives at my local HMV, the bastards didnt carry any ISIS well, from the songs ive heard, this album from my favourite band will certainly not dissapoint, however i intend to get panopticon as well.
    Tormedhammeren
    It's very hard to decide what to give the lyrics on bands like this, mostly because of the fact that they are indeed hard to decifer. Still I think they blend in nicely with the music. You don't hear them very well, but I like to read the lyrics and looking through the gatefolds while listening to the songs. What's also cool with these kind of lyrics is that you can make up your opinion of what they mean. Love this album, as with all the rest! By the way, here's a link to the lyrics: http://www.darklyrics.com/i/isis.html
    PoP N FresH
    god i9 love this album...so much....in fiction is one of my fave songs.....but god i love it. this is one of the few bands that can make me feel emotionally attached while playng heavy music. love it.
    opiate-
    That amazing bass in "Altered Course" is by the master Justin Chancellor (Tool).
    blitzbeast
    Who was the idiot the labelled this as 'Grindcore'? Sweet album though, a good pleasant mix of soft melody and heavy moments. Easily their best imo