The Hearts Of Lonely People review by Isles & Glaciers

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
Isles & Glaciers: The Hearts Of Lonely People

Modern rock supergroup Isles and Glaciers have finally released their debut ep, "The Hearts of Lonely People" on Equal Vision records. Leaked songs and rumors have all contributed to the considerable anticipation and talk that this release has built up since the announcement of the group's formation, but the ep is finally here and we can all finally listen to it for ourselves. Formed around members of Chiodos, Pierce the Veil, Emarosa, the Receiving End of Sirens, and Underminded, this all-star team of musicians had a lot to live up to. The musical sound of the band is very guitar and programming driven, with elements of all of the bands shining through at particular moments. The influence of Pierce the Veil's Vic Fuentes' guitars can definitely be heard throughout the record, which is a very good thing. There isn't a whole lot of innovation music-wise, but that aspect of the record is far from underwhelming.

The vocalists of this group most definitely take center-stage and display the power that each of them possess. The amount of singing-time is very evenly spread between Jonny Craig (Emarosa), Craig Owens (ex-Chiodos), and Vic Fuentes, with each of them having very distinct parts, catered to each of their strengths (which are considerable for each of them). While each of the singers have their own time in the spotlight, Jonny Craig definitely shines the most. He is one of the most unique singers on the scene today and uses his talent to the fullest on all of his parts. Craig Owens displays a lot of skill both melodically and with screaming vocals. Personally, I thought that Vic Fuentes was the least impressive of the three. As far as lyrics go, this record is, for the most part, unmemorable, with some of the best being on the songs "Clush" and "Hills Like White Elephants". Overall, this record is basically a showcase of the three vocalists' talents, and it follows through in spectacular fashion.

This release is a unique one, combining aspects of several bands on the scene today. The record is a very enjoyable listen from start to finish, with little to no dull moments. The most memorable songs for me are "Hills Like White Elephants", "Clush", and "Viola Lion". The biggest downside of this record is that it is here and gone in a flash. It is very short and there are only 5 actual songs on the record; but I guess that's its an EP and not a full album. This will continue to be in my rotation of records to listen to for a long while, it is a great one.

Rockinguitar
    Good EP. I usually avoid them cause they're too short to be bothered with, but I'm glad I got this one.
    NightBladeXx
    Dude, one of the best songs on there that you failed to mention was Empty Sighs and Wine
    pnkhrdwndr
    I got this and it was pretty much what I was expecting but my favorite song is definitely "clush"
    We'realltoBlame
    The arrangements were very good considering how many vocalists and instrumentalists were involved. I just wish it were longer.