Issues review by Issues

• Released: Feb 18, 2014
Issues: Issues

Issues was formed in the summer of 2012 from ex-clean and unclean vocalists of Woe, Is Me, Tyler Carter, and Michael Bohn. They released their debut EP titled "Black Diamonds" on November 1, 2012. It was a mix-up of metalcore, electronicore, rap and even a dash of R&B. It was a success and their new self-titled album is even better than then its predecessor. Brian Kraus of the Alternative Press says, "This is the future of metalcore." and I couldn't agree more. "Issues" is packed full of the unique vocals of Tyler Carter and the always impressive screams of Michael Bohn. They make use of electronics and synthesizers and only adds to the overall greatness of the classic metalcore breakdowns.

For the lyrics... they are creative, original and far from the standard of the thousands of other bands out their in this genre. One of the things that make the songs unique are Tyler's signature voice and ability to incorporate rap with Michael's high energy screams. Add some electronic beats and some somewhat reused guitar riffs (one of my few complaints) and you got yourself a good collection of songs. One of the more popular songs on the album "Stingray Affliction" is described comically at times "dope" by a few people I have seen on forums and is a more simple way of saying it's a very good song.

My favorite song personally is "Never Lose Your Flame." It's just down right catchy on the chorus and you can't help but sing along. It even has a bit of a "pop" feel in it at times. But then when your getting comfortable with the pop they throw some of Michael's screams at you... which only adds to the beauty of the song.

Tyler's singing is better than ever and he delivers yet again just as he had with Woe, Is Me.

I would compare Issues to I See Stars (also have wrote a review on them), they both make use of electronic beats, synthesizers and keyboards. Although I See Stars does focus more dubstep into their breakdowns. The most impressive song to me on it was the previously mentioned "Never Lose Your Flame." It's just a very very good song.

Pros:
- Raising metalcore to a new level.
- Tyler's singing and Michael's screams have never been better.
- Very original lyrics for the majority of the album.

Cons:
- Somewhat overused guitar patterns.
- A little off balanced for cleans and screams. Kinda around Tyler-60, Michael-40.

If it were stolen, yes I would buy it back in a hurried manner. It isn't an overstatement if you say "this is the future of this genre," Issues certainly is bring a new element into the bland metalcore genre. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

Bazz22
    "Raising metalcore to a new level" That's certainly debatable.
    grizzzzly_adams
    Sounds like One Direction with guitars.... Architects' & Buried in Verona's new albums are way better and represent the genre in my eyes.
    The Spoon
    It just sounds like trendy djent music with more chugging, tbh. Tyler Carter's voice is guilty pleasure of mine, though.
    Hence My Name
    Wow, no autotune, they can sing! wow...just...wow... :/ honestly, it doesn't do it for me. I listen to everything, but it sounds...generic, just like any other screamo, postpunk, emo band.
    Lee Makky
    Let's just appreciate the fact that this band is different. At least they aren't another binary riffed band that sound like 3253461 other metalcore bands out there. If bands keep trying different things, the genre will be filled with a lot more talent and variety.
    MKAYultra
    best hxc band in it, u metal fags stop commenting we dont comment on ur gay megadeth, death, and fallujah reviews
    Audible Warfare
    Good review. My personal favorite is Tears On the Runway Pt. 2. Love Tyler and Nylo's falsetto in that song. Just a beautiful song and a great band!