Lividity review by It Dies Today

• Released: Sep 15, 2009
It Dies Today: Lividity

After numerous delays (about a years worth or so), New York's metalcore outfit It Dies Today have finally been permitted by their label to release their third studio album, Lividity. Many old school fans of the band were disappointed with their last effort Sirens for sounding too different and watered down. Long gone are the days of Forever Scorned or even The Caitiff Choir where the band sounded... well... good. But... This record is a massive step up from Sirens. That's how I would start out this review if that statement actually meant anything to me. Sirens isn't exactly something I would use as a comparison. What I can say, though, is that some fans of modern melodic metalcore will see this as the band's redemption in a way. This record is arguably the bands heaviest to date, cliched clean catchy choruses aside. I'd say it's even heavier at times than Forever Scorned. Maybe not as good, but definitely heavier. At times. You see, with this release, it's really a love hate relationship. There are parts I like and parts I don't. There are a couple of great songs, and a couple forgettable ones. At times you'll raise an eyebrow and think "I've heard that riff before..." and at other times you'll raise the other eyebrow and think "oh, there's something new". There's a lot of generic riffing here, but that's metalcore for you. A lot of it has been done. But there is the occasional spark of originality. You'd be surprised at what these guys can come up with sometimes.

Looking at the song titles, you can tell that the lyrical content of the band has changed over the years. Whereas The Caitiff Choir was full of sappy love songs, this album is full of... other stuff. Seriously, I don't even know what Jason (the new vocalist) is talking about half the time. Lines like "We are the architects of suffering/We are the architects of criminal desires" don't really mean anything at all. Who are "we" and why are they such assholes? Screw it. I want my sappy love songs back. At least average people could relate to Nick and whatever it was he was whining about. Jason Wood as a vocalist isn't really my cup of tea either. He suffers from the same dilemma of the new After the Burial vocalist. He sounds too hardcore, not metalcore enough. His screams sound dry and hollow, not thick like Nick could pull off way back on the Caitiff Choir. Maybe I'm being too hard on him because I think he crapped all over the remakes of Marigold and Sixth of June, but I really just don't think he's right for the band. And God, the clean vocals... Seriously, you can tell that this band is being pushed around by the label. First you have a year of delays. Then when you get the album, you have tons of pansy-ass clean choruses. Now don't get me wrong, I love clean choruses. But a lot of these sound horribly out of place. And Jason literally sounds like a pansy when he sings clean vocals. He sounds like a pretty boy in a pop band. But hey, you gotta have something for the kids to sing along to! It's how you get people to come to shows! Not. There is probably only two clean choruses in the album that I liked, and they were on Nihility and Reckless Abandonment. I think. They had great melodies, they were well placed, and unlike most of the other clean choruses on the album, they didn't sound forced.

Overall, I think that it would have been a much better album if they had just stuck to the aggressive aspect and just ran with it. This had potential, but the overused clean choruses really killed it. That, and the fact that this record came out a couple of years late. If this album didn't have so much generic cheese in it, and this was 2004 instead of 2009, I'd be telling you that this band would be going places. Also, don't get excited about Complacence Without Pursuit because of the long run time like I did. I thought it would be a long epic track similar to Defeatism from The Caitiff Choir. Turns out, it wasn't, it was just an average song followed by a few minutes of silence and then some drinking song. Come on, guys. For what it's worth, though, it's still much better than Sirens, heavier than The Caitiff Choir (although I still think that's a better album), and heaps better than a lot of -core albums this year (Impending Doom, Emmure, TDWP, I'm looking at you guys). Despite the crap that I gave this album, it really isn't that bad. There were plenty of riffs throughout where I really did feel like banging my head, and there were quite a few interesting breakdowns as well. A few moments even surprised me, causing me to raise both eyebrows and think "these guys came up with that?" This record is still growing on me, really. It's taking a few listens, but I find that there are some tracks, including This Ghost, Martyr of Truth, Reckless Abandonment, and Nihility, that I can't resist. One of those songs even has a pretty sweet solo in it. Fans of modern metalcore should check this out. Despite the fact that I don't like the new vocalist, I think this album is still pretty good. It's like a blend between As I Lay Dying and Parkway Drive. Sometimes generic and sometimes interesting, but always sticks to the rules. But every once in a while, they'll make those rules work for them. Fans rejoice, the band is climbing their way out of the slump they were in.

Lohnanmilitia
    Review definately amused me. I remember when Frorever scorned came out, and then the caitiff choir. Really dug this band back in the day. Then i kinda stopped paying attention and saw them open for Silverstein around Sirens release and was like, What the ****, I thought It Dies Today was opening. My friend fell asleep. haha. I saw they had a new album comin out and said what the hell. Ill pick it up. It is a major step up. although, i can do without tracks 6,8, 10, 12. haha. numbe 1 pushes it. The clean choruses are too whiny. Thats pretty much what kills the song numbers i listed. Some good guitar work on here though. They still have the potential to make a killer record, they need to just stop trying to keep themselves in that generic metalcore mode.
    Amuro Jay
    Ibanezrocker800 wrote: Also, don't get excited about Complacence Without Pursuit because of the long run time like I did. I thought it would be a long epic track similar to Defeatism from The Caitiff Choir. Turns out, it wasn't, it was just an average song followed by a few minutes of silence and then some drinking song. Come on, guys. Looks like you got the illegal version of this record lol. If you actually bought the cd in stores, they cut the drinking part and put it at the end of an eleventh track "come undone." Also, the cd version is a little bit more polished than the leaked version. In my opinion, I think this is a sick record, and a great progression for the band.
    Well, that's interesting >_> ... And I agree fully with your last statement.
    Bjorney
    guitar_freak91 wrote: you have the unmastered version dumbass. theres a lot of changes they made, some things were re-recorded, and they added a song.
    i have the mastered version too, you dont need to listen to the mastered version to get a feel for it. why bother writing a review if your just going to admit that you dont have a good impression of the album yet. and a poorly done cover does not constitute a new song, nor complete the album
    sexclamation
    I would have to say that the guy above me, Easterbass, is a jackass. Cuz if you read the review he clearly stated the things he did like and the things he didn't like; therefore, not taking either side and ultimately unbiased. He even said that he didn't like the new vocalist that much and the album still had to grow on him. Anyways, in my opinion it was a good review. Caitiff Choir was a fairly solid album and Sirens was kinda catchy at times but mainly there was nothing too memorable. I haven't heard this record yet but I think I'm gonna download it first to see if I like it. Hopefully the new vocalist at least fits the music
    j0eyxcore
    i think this album was pretty solid, i know jasons vocals arent like nicks but i definately think he has an awesome scream!! 1 or 2 tracks I cant really get into but are growing on me!
    Amuro Jay
    Shredder Guitar wrote: i really liked sirens, to be completely honest with you. the title track and a port in any storm are pretty solid tracks.
    I remember Sixth of June being good, but that's the only thing I can remember. For me that album was just unmemorable.
    Shredder Guitar
    guitar_freak91
    Bjorney wrote: i got this album 6 months ago how is it still growing on you
    MachineHeart
    catiff choir was not full of sappy love songs. freak gasonline fight accident is about satan. most of the songs are about the impurity of humanity. stop listening to the singing parts and song titles for your song definitions.
    Ibanezrocker800
    Jon777
    Great review; definitely very entertaining. Now all that's left to do is give this album a listen. The Caitiff Choir was great... Sirens was a definite letdown (although... it did had a few great songs).
    Grave Robber
    If you set aside Forever Sconed and The Caitiff Choir, And just think of them as a new band this albums pretty solid. and forget about sirens altogether.
    Amuro Jay
    Fender700 wrote: uh...sounds bad. maybe worth a listen at least?
    Well, in my conclusion I basically said that this album deserves a little more credit than I give it. It's actually fairly solid, and it's still growing on me. Just don't really like the new singer, but I guess he'll grow on me too eventually.
    ianaimo
    Being a HUGE still remains fan, I kinda give Jason a break for his vocals. Though a lot could have been better, this is his first real band doing vocals, (played bass for still remains). The Caitiff Choir is probably one of my all time favorite cd's ever made. The music, the vocals, all of it amazing and IMO ahead of its time. I feel if the Caitiff Choir had just been released and not lividity, It Dies Today would be as popular as TDWP. I didn't like the cover much either. I have heard better covers then that one of Come Undone (just to piggyback on bjorney). However, as the reviewer stated, there are some great songs on this CD. I also have to say that I had the pleasure of seeing the new it dies today right after their cd came out and I was impressed by their performance. Everything looked and sounded great. I can't wait to see these guys again with some bigger name bands so that there is a bigger crowd next time!