Stroma review by It Prevails

• Released: Aug 2, 2011
It Prevails: Stroma

It Prevails is a name that is slowly becoming more familiar than it was, say, 4 years ago when they released their first effort "The Inspiration". Back then, they were just a small band, recently signed to Rise Records. Soon after, they would be taken off of the Rise lineup and be unsigned until 2011, when they landed a deal with Mediaskare. During that time, in 2009, they self-released "Capture And Embrace", almost solely recorded by frontman Ian Fikes, with a bit of help from a drummer and an indie producer at Rain City Records. Capture took a bit of a different turn in the band's overall sound. They became more melodic, less heavy, and seemed confident with their approach. Now, in 2011, they're signed and have a new record, "Stroma", due for an August release. Many people are probably thinking, "Will it be different?" or "Are they just gonna sound like every other band now?" The answer to both of those, is no. I got a hold of an advanced copy of Stroma and am delighted that it stays very true to both "Capture" and their 2010 EP, "Findings". I'd even say that they're more melodic and even less heavy then they were previously in "Capture And Embrace". This album is fantastic! Everything about it is just as I thought it would be. They even included a new version of "Something More" from "Findings". The only thing I would say holding it back from being as good or better than "Capture And Embrace" is the production quality. The drums sound a bit lifeless and too "raw" and the guitar tone comes off kind of muffled. But, if you're looking for the next "Capture And Embrace", here it is. If you're a fan of "The Inspiration" but loathed "Capture And Embrace", prepare to be disappointed.

What can I say that isn't already evident? Everything about the vocals is just amazing. Ian Fike is a pure genius. He can sing, he can do harsh hardcore yells, and can write amazingly well. His lyrics are probably some of the best I have ever heard, dealing with personal issues and problems he sees with the modern world. The only thing I would say is a downer about the vocals is that there are too many guest vocal spots throughout the album. They sort of detract from the band's sound.

As I said before, this album is right in line with "Capture And Embrace". Some who favored their first album, "The Inspiration" might be disappointed though. I'd say my favorite songs from the album so far are "Cage With Gold Bars", "The Task", "Hold On", and "Something More", but the others are great as well. While the production quality isn't the greatest, it surely shouldn't detract from your listening experience, and neither shall the plentiful, or possibly over abundant guest vocal spots. This album is still great. I'd highly recommend this album to already It Prevails fans, as well as fans of Shai Hulud, Misery Signals, Hundredth, and Crossbearer.

EpiExplorer
    LeakyFlask
    Everytime I hear about a metalcore band I think about that quote someone sigged. "We're planning to be in the metalcore genre. Not the pussy metalcore. But metalcore."
    rmlee29
    "In fact, I played two songs from each album over the other. They were in the same key, same tempo, same 3/4 signiture and also had the same production. They were exactly the same. EXACTLY THE SAME." NOOOOO WAY. I LAUGHED SO HARD THAT YOU ACTUALLY SAID THIS. I still can't believe that such an ignorant statement can be made of music. Do you actually think what makes a song unique is the key and time signature? I could easily make 20 songs in 1 key in 4/4 and make them all sound worlds apart.
    synestershadows
    Badghost wrote: you guys are retarded,this record is amazing and its their best work.The production is better then capture and embrace/findings. True melodic hardcore at its finest.
    Except it isn't melodic hardcore, but whatever.
    Badghost
    synestershadows
    ciadude2 wrote: Honestly I love the instruments but don't really dig the vocals. The Inspiration is literally the album that got me into "heavy" music and Ian's screams are something of an acquired taste really. His singing has much improved since Capture and Embrace(it sounded really nasally in my opinion way back then in some of the songs) but the screams have atrophied a bit.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. His harsh yelling has gotten a lot weaker most likely due to the fact that he wants to focus on singing more.
    ciadude2
    Honestly I love the instruments but don't really dig the vocals. The Inspiration is literally the album that got me into "heavy" music and Ian's screams are something of an acquired taste really. His singing has much improved since Capture and Embrace(it sounded really nasally in my opinion way back then in some of the songs) but the screams have atrophied a bit. tl;dr Loved the instruments, the vocals were passable.
    Metallidethium
    synestershadows : EpiExplorer wrote: synestershadows wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: I listened to it, and it seems in contrast to what you've said. The production is excellent. The music is the same as every other post-hardcore band. Have you listened to Capture and Embrace? The production is way better on that album. I'd like to know what your definition of 'music production' is, because as far as I can tell, they both have the same value. In fact, so similar is the production between the two albums, thats probably why I'm dismissing it as the same as well, every other post-hardcore band with a good production and rubbish music. In fact, I played two songs from each album over the other. They were in the same key, same tempo, same 3/4 signiture and also had the same production. They were exactly the same. EXACTLY THE SAME. lol Epi. Y u so mad?
    No female lovin.. anyway, I thought this album came out July 19th.. I had it a week before then. It's a decent album but I didn't find it anything great.
    lol Epi. Y u so mad?
    PaintOurSilence
    This album is perfect, like everything theyve ever released. Also what over abundant guest vocals spots? Theres literally only 1 on the song Artisan.
    MetalFriend
    His lyrics are about personal issues and problems he says with the modern world? That's not excellent. That's also normal for this genre.
    Yayo.Eric
    This album is awesome, Capture & Embrace is still my favorite but this is growing on me.
    Hells.Mascot
    Sir. EpiExplorer lives for the days he can "point out all the bullshit in mainstream metalcore music."
    Loki_37
    Bananafish003 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: synestershadows wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: I listened to it, and it seems in contrast to what you've said. The production is excellent. The music is the same as every other post-hardcore band. Have you listened to Capture and Embrace? The production is way better on that album. I'd like to know what your definition of 'music production' is, because as far as I can tell, they both have the same value. In fact, so similar is the production between the two albums, thats probably why I'm dismissing it as the same as well, every other post-hardcore band with a good production and rubbish music. In fact, I played two songs from each album over the other. They were in the same key, same tempo, same 3/4 signiture and also had the same production. They were exactly the same. EXACTLY THE SAME. I would like to thank those such as yourself who point out all the bullshit in mainstream metalcore music. Not enough people seem to notice...
    Bananafish003