Destination Unknown review by Ivan Mihaljevic & Side Effects

• Released: Oct 1, 2010
Ivan Mihaljevic & Side Effects: Destination Unknown

Extraordinary! In the true sense of the word, *extra* out of the ordinary. And years (...a lifetime!) spent listening to music - good music! - had taught me that for an artist, to reach the same gun blazing brilliance in his work over and over, with each release is statistically, understandably, almost impossible. But Ivan Mihaljevic challenged the impossible. And, he strikes gold! He produced an album that goes even beyond expectations, successfully completing the delicate task to rise to equal greatness without repeating himself. How was he successfully able to paint this kaleidoscope using the same musical colors and patterns and yet the result is this unique genre, well defined, personal style? How did he manage - and I would not know, considering his young age - to draw, wisely, neatly, from the Great Teachers of the past, yet render such unexpectedly innovative musicality? I won't waste anymore time in trying to grasp and translate into abstract concept and banal consideration. I'd rather attempt to walk you through a track by track journey and give a voice to each of the eleven pieces enclosed in the jewel case. After all, it is all about the music.

Instant Star, that is.. Dressed to kill! Forgive me the clice! Even though "the habit doesn't make the monk," the album opens with a demons driven, take no prisoner track... An excellent calling card! A cutting song, wisely measured mixture of poetic lyrics, powerfully delivered and guitars that generously and impetuously impose themselves right off the start. The Curse is more of a song... A story is being told. From the implied plot to the outlined. Resonance, a story that could seemingly resolve itself in complexity but instead unravel and reveals itself to be the relatable reality of many. Choosh Pies is... The strike of genius! There was once someone who commented to Ivan "I envy the potential of your songwriting.. How do you do it?"..Eh, appealing question! I ask myself as well... When it comes to Brilliance, what are the limits? Choosh Pies is, to me, a hymn to freedom of expression! A hymn to the music itself on itself, empowered with excellent technical ability and flowing with innate elegance. Post-apocalyptic Images bursts with an impressive and a stylistic sumptuousness ability to transport us to a period... The abstract! An era that immediately appears to us as not ours, challenging us to cross over beyond limits, a key to a portal transporting us emotionally and intellectually in a musical field still unexplored by many and, therefore, surprisingly exciting and interesting. Dreamscapes.. That is: His majesty Brett Garsed storms straight into the sonic universe of Destination Unknown... Dreamscapes is the exemplary test of like also an instrumental piece is in a position of "to tell"... If the music is essential, the words can become superfluous.. And l' meeting of two Teachers does of this piece, a memorable piece, that I would not hesitate to define: eargasmic! Shadows: a time and a rhythm that could induce ideas of a folk/metal experimentation, in reality, accompany a text from the irrepressible sensuality and from the incredible metric ability-stylistic. Winning, sensual, original, it is insinuated in the mind and in the soul, where prolific and it branches out difficult eradicable roots. The Pirates Song is a piece that will appeal to the senses of devotees of Dream Theater and alike but that very few have been able to tackle and emulate as peers rather than admirers. Extremely pleasing to the hearing, simple within its complex structure, The Pirates Song is a further demonstration of the artistry of Mihaljevic innate, effortless, innate predisposition to propel himself through and, across musical routes taking him to (perhaps) unknown destinations, but surely, widely aspired! Sorry is emotional and emotionalism. And the expression of a feeling conveyed with few little words and an overwhelming wave of notes to capture and conquer the mind of even the most distracted listeners into blissful surrender. Your Plane Flew Away succeeds to be, another unforeseen force. A surprise among the surprises Funky a la '80s, with the revelation of a considerably talented new voice in special guest Marko Osmanovic. A piece with the potential to delight those with a sweet tooth for novelty and still satisfy the musical appetites of those who always loved the classic and vocal prouesses of teachers of the caliber of a Ian Gillan and Rob Halford. Sorry returns, for a second coming, when we thought we have heard every approach of Sandcastle. Ivan proposes us with a new twist from a different joyful angle (and there is: Questions In My Mind). And finally Hollow Wish! Simply: A triumph of notes! Here we find ourselves in the presence of what is more than a song, I would dare to say: a movie! It moves, entices and brings life to all our senses, reaching out to the mind, body and soul.

Classical and Innovation... Past and Future... Standing at the exact crossroad where the mid point of "what was and of what will be" intertwines, this sonic tsunami leads us through a musical reality, on our way to a Destination, with perhaps, a few unknowns yet on undoubted solid ground.