There Came A Lion Review

Ivoryline: There Came A Lion
Release Date: Feb 5, 2008
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Get out and buy it as soon as you can if you like music with great intensity, catchy guitar hooks and heartfelt lyrics.
 8.6
 8.3
 8.8
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
There Came A Lion Reviewed by: Evil Team, on february 13, 2008

Sound: Ivoryline's debut full-length, There Came A Lion, is a strong offering of modern rock seldom attained by a new band. Driving rhythms and soaring leads compliment the vocal style. While many of the songs sound a lot alike, the album is never boring. Anything but, actually. In every song, from the anthemic Be Still and Breathe (which was the first single) to the ballad The Last Words, there is a piercing line of lyrics or a creative riff that will keep your CD player on repeat until you run out of batteries. // 8

Lyrics: I think the bridge of the song Hearts and Minds sums up Ivoryline's whole lyrical scheme: "I'm not looking to music to complete me./I'm not looking for a new philosophy./I'm not waiting for somebody to swoon me./I'm just searching for a better way into your love." As professing Christians, there are some references to God and His love. Despite this, they do anything but preach. As one fan noted, "Ivoryline is definitely about relationship [with God and people] than in religion." The lyrics are very well written, with great lines in every song that will have you thinking. The vocals are very well suited to the music, with aggressive vocals, emotional vocals, or gentle vocals all in just the right places. The only downside to this section is how Ivoryline very often repeats a line twice to finish a verse, adding a little bite of blandness. Definitely not a big issue, but a picky critic might see that as amateuristic. // 8

Overall Impression: Fans of The Wedding, Spitalfield, or Emery will most likely be pleased with this album. If you're downloading, I definitely suggest Be Still and Breathe, Remind Me I'm Alive, Hearts and Minds, and The Last Words. Every song is a breath of art, a sound that can't quite be overplayed. Also, at $8.00 on iTunes, it's a great value as well. I bought it as soon as I heard it was out, and am definitely pleased. // 9

Comments