It's All Happening review by iwrestledabearonce

• Released: Jun 2, 2009
iwrestledabearonce: It's All Happening

Iwrestledabearonce have always been an interesting band. They take the good old-fashioned Grindcore recipe and mix in herbs and spices of Electronica, Funk, and Jazz while adding a heavy dose of fun. Between face-melting guitar riffs, heavy breakdowns, mellow interludes full of singer/screamer Krysta Cameron's beautifully soothing vocals, wonderous samples, and ripping yet soothing synthesizers there really is something for everyone. They can go from a monsterously heavy breakdown into a relaxing ballad. But you ask, "Can they pull off? Can they include so many different styles and influences and still keep it relevant? Keep it fresh?" And my answer to you is not only can they pull it off, they pull it off extremely well. No matter where a song goes, whether it's from a blast beat to an interlude, or a breakdown into to something quite like jazzercise music, they can keep the song flowing without any sharp turns. The only thing wrong with this is while the CD it can start to become somewhat boring and a tad irritating. Fortunately, the album is only about a half hour long, so it doesn't drag out very long.

Krysta has quite a unique range as far has her voice goes. She can screech franticly high screamss and savagely growl, but she also has a beautifully sounding set of pipes that could soothe, well, a bear. Especially during the softer parts of the album, her voice stands out the most. The lyrics are, for the most part, quite random. In "Tastes Like Kevin Bacon" Krysta screams "We bow our heads over and over and over again off with her head when will it end?." Other lyrics are quite, for lack of a better word, melancholy and just written for fun.

Iwrestledabearonce are one of the strangest yet most unique bands out there today, and "It's All Happening" displays their style superbly. There are also random things thrown into songs, whether it's the famous "Dixie" carhorn from The Dukes of Hazzard or the hillbilly sounding section in You Ain't No Family. Besides their obvious random and strange sections, other sections display superior musicianship showing their ability to flawlessly change styles and switch sections. Overall this is a fun album for fans of Grindcore or just music in general that has so many good things about it that they outweigh the cd's minor flaws. Recommended Songs: 01.You Ain't No Family 02.Tastes Like Kevin Bacon 03.The Cat's Pajamas 04.Pazuzu For The Win

tsalagie
    tommyt
    there are only 2 things i didn't like about this album 1. the clean vocals, she's got a nice tone to her voice clean but she seems like she doesn't have much control that being said her screams and growls are awesome 2. the new version of "tastes like kevin bacon" sounds a bit slow and dulled compared to the old one other than that I love this album.
    shugo449
    tsalagie wrote: just to let you know, the seemingly, "random lyrics" you say are in "Tastes Like Kevin Bacon" aren't even lyrics to the song... just trying to help you out
    you're right i looked in the liner notes and it's not there
    tom-the-lawn
    I personally think this cd is terrible. I like the band name, the song titles, and the music video; they're pretty funny. But as far as the music goes, I really don't like it. To be fair I don't really listen to this kind of music, but I don't think I'm too narrow minded, and I don't mind screaming from some bands. But I find it very hard to like, the riffs just don't sound good, to me it's as if a guy was just randomly hitting notes. I think it's clear that for some people having a girl that screams and funny song titles somehow makes the music good as well.
    Mattylightning
    hriday_hazarika wrote: [quote]huevos wrote: I'm not one for their deathcore excesses, but the beginning riff in "You Ain't No Family" is captivating. Too bad they have BTBAM syndrome; heavy riff for an intro, then either a)another heavy riff, with twiddles b) soothing section, back to original riff or the secondary one, after that, end with a soothing section. About 80% of both bands discography follow that formula. Not saying their bad, but they ain't as innovative as they think.
    They're having fun doing it. Isn't that what matters? ^_^ [/quote]
    Zeraninator
    Wow them TLKB lyrics are about as wrong as it gets. I watched an interview by the band, and Krysta said the lyrics are kind of like a therapeutic process for her or something. I guess those are some deep lyrics or some shit.
    Lohnanmilitia
    This band is so amusing...I havent taken the cd out of my car since it came out. of all the bands that do this style, iwrestledabearonce is the only one to truly hold my attention. And they do it with a sense of humor. they dont take themselves to seriously and put on crazy shows. Cant wait to see what they do next.
    Eurasian_C
    My band played with them in Lynn, MA last summer with Ligeia. I seriously love everything about this band. They can play tight and be ****ing hilarious at the same time. This is probably the only grindcore or even close to grindcore thing I can really appreciate. More power to this band.
    sexclamation
    I think this band has not reached their potential yet. To tell the truth this album wasn't mixed very well. It's pretty obvious when a cool riff comes on and you can't hear it because of really high mediocre screams that sound like they are going through a P.A. system. The vocalist could be a lot better if she didn't vibrato everything to try to make it sound cool. Don't get wrong, she's hitting notes but, in my opinion, she isn't hitting the right ones. The guitarists and drummer aren't bad but the next time they record they should turn down the vocalist's mic a little. It also felt as if they were a little sloppy at times. Musically, I would give this somewhere around a 7 but if I counted the vocals I would give this album a 5.
    jollyjolly
    I don't think that this band can be compared to Btbam, I don't know how much you have listened to them , but they do not follow a certain song structure every song at all... they have more songs that end heavy rather than soft and they also don't start every song heavy... they have a consistent flow throughout their songs bringing back memorable riffs to entice the listener, though IWABO does jump around a lot in no way do they try to make the next part flow
    Jawkster
    I love this band and this album. Yeah, one of the few albums I actually decided to buy this year~
    Veil of Lies
    I have to say that my favorite song is either Danger in the Manger or I'm Cold and There are Wolves After Me.
    elleild
    Saw them live 2 days ago, was probably one of the best live bands ive seen. The guitarists is amazing!
    Dallinisrad
    See You In Shell is my personal favorite. and Eli Cash vs. The Godless Savages COULD have been one of the greats, if it didnt have a slightly boring second half.
    rodgab3
    its funny, my band opened for them about a year ago, and i just now got back to my house from their show in waco. they are really good
    Lion_Slicer
    You have to take it for what it is... so what if it doesn't make you reevaluate your life or judge all music by a new standard. It's freaking-ass fun to listen to, and that's all I care about. Maybe that's what's meant by "so bad its good"? idk, I wouldn't call this band bad, I think they're accomplishing the task they set for themselves perfectly. And Krysta is the most badass female vocalist I know, next to Angela Gossow.
    N1Gh7mAr3
    My friend is obsessed with this band. Bought like 8 of their t-shirts and that's all he wears during the week. Also has their bumper sticker on his truck. Lol
    huevos
    Pretty_Much
    I listened to all the recommended tracks and they were all terrible. This band is trying to be grindcore and failing then trying to be something different and failing again.
    Lion_Slicer
    I don't mind, it seems being kickass godly is a symptom of BTBAM syndrome.
    a dozen furies
    huevos wrote: I'm not one for their deathcore excesses, but the beginning riff in "You Ain't No Family" is captivating. Too bad they have BTBAM syndrome; heavy riff for an intro, then either a)another heavy riff, with twiddles b) soothing section, back to original riff or the secondary one, after that, end with a soothing section. About 80% of both bands discography follow that formula. Not saying their bad, but they ain't as innovative as they think. I don't mind, it seems being kickass godly is a symptom of BTBAM syndrome. haha great answer!! between the buried and me is godly beyond all reason!! some people just try to hard to predict whats gonna happen next in there songs which is okay if you actually understand the music theyre making if not though (huevos) then dont try to tell us how their composition goes cause frankly it sounds like you dont know any of their songs (huevos)
    Rockinguitar
    Never heard a chick go all out screaming and growling before. Impressive, but not my glass of vodka. *Oh well*
    hriday_hazarika
    They're having fun doing it. Isn't that what matters? ^_^
    Soul-Monger
    I've seen the band live twice. Once back in August and the time before that was in... April or May, I think. Great live performers. Picked up the CD and wasn't all too disappointed, but the reviewer is right when he says the first four tracks are among the best. Personally, I really like "It's Cold and There Are Wolves After Me", as well.
    Diabsoule
    Some of the most creative metal I've heard to date for sure! Absolutly love it. 10.