Ruining It For Everybody review by iwrestledabearonce

• Released: Jul 26, 2011
iwrestledabearonce: Ruining It For Everybody

The senses never get too comfortable upon hearing any Iwrestledabearonce song, and it's up for debate if that's a satisfying feeling or not. On the Louisiana band's second full length studio record "Ruining It For Everybody", the 11 tracks cover the gamut musically and usually it all happens during the course of one song. Marking an impact as always is perhaps the most versatile vocalist to explode upon to the metal scene, Krysta Cameron. About 75 percent of the time you swear that a 6'5 beast of a man is creating the sounds that Cameron actually utters, and it's precisely that twist that makes "Ruining It For Everybody" so fascinating.

Mixing and meshing a bevy of genres, Iwrestledabearonce does have an amazing ability to sound like everything from Mr. Bungle to Enya to an Atari game. There's one question that could be asked over and over again: Just how do you describe Iwrestledabearonce's music? After listening to the new record, I've got to be honest. I still don't have an apt title for the concepts that the band is delivering. The album starts off with "Next Visible Delicious", which spews for arcade-like synth, eclectic time changes, and robotic/streamlined riffs from duo John Ganey and Steven Bradley. "You Know That Ain't Them Dogs Real Voices" highlights Cameron's awe-inspiring diversity. One moment you hear beautiful, cherubic crooning, and in the next a high-pitched scream. The frantic, spastic arrangements are definitely intriguing, and you have to be at least a little impressed at just how the band was able to pull together such distinct musical sections.

"This Music Makes My Eyes Rain" almost delves into new age, atmospheric territory in moments, while "Stay To The Right" delivers one of the most truly metal arrangements complete with the insane double bass pedal work of drummer Mike Montgomery. "I'm Gonna Shoot" features a unique type of musicality, with the guitar and piano/synth work deserving the term "elegant". Through it all, each band member displays his/her own distinct versatility. Yes, hearing Cameron growl like a diabolic man in one section and then immediately transition into her gorgeous soprano range is certainly a show stealer. In the end, however, each of the five members tends to a musical chameleon.

Although not as frantic in construction, there is an intensity within the lyrical content. The words usually are driven by whichever style Cameron chooses to vocalize. She can easily get a heartfelt thought across by singing something gently like "It's what you've always wanted" ("Button It Up"), but lines like "You go pointing your fingers at me; You burn it in and out of humanity; Now you see those clergy eat better than you and me" are massively effective when Cameron opts to violently scream them. A good chunk can't really be understood upon first listen, but the passion behind Cameron's death growls/screams are hard to ignore.

If you're shopping around for a metal record with immediately catchy hooks or riffs, you'll need to continue your search. However, if you're looking to be shocked, awed, and slightly unsettled, "Ruining It For Everybody" will supply the goods. Both chaotic and creatively inspired, the new Iwrestledabearonce record will stay in your psyche for awhile.

RiffYourFaceOff
    blake1221 wrote: In this column, a gross misunderstanding of what "screamo" means.
    scarter1192 wrote: I love how everybody who doesn't listen to any genre or sub-genre of metal/hardcore calls all of it "screamo". lol "I hate screamo derp derp no talent derp derp"
    +1 to both
    arcangel294
    It's Avant-Garde Metal, the music is supposed to be sporadic, confusing, and uncomprehensable.
    Brendan.Clace
    Love it. Fantastic album. Doing exactly what they want to and enjoying it. Look at the album title for goodness sake. Haters gonna hate bahahaha
    cxrlxscr
    COBHC145 wrote: Also, isn't this that record that's supposed to be black metal or some bollocks?
    I'm pretty sure that was the band just joking and/or trolling.
    Loki_37
    bobbyincide666 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Fwenx wrote: This is the same as with modern art imo. Hell, I don't understand every form of art, and I sometimes think it's bullsh!t. People may think this is bullsh!t. I think it's just highly experimental, and I like it for that. True, it's all over the place. True, it's chaotic. But they are doing something unique. So I get why this gets such a low rating. Just isn't for everybody to appreciate. Well, you see, its just bad. Like, really. There are bands who do it better, bands who are far more into their game. This is literaly just a bunch of people messing around for the sake of being noticed. What is wrong with wanted to be noticed? What is wrong with having fun? If you don't mind could you please post a link to your CD, so I can give it a listen.
    Epi...Epi...I understand where you're coming from, it's meh, and not good musically. It's a hard thing to appreciate and likely only scene kids or people looking for something inherently different will. HOWeverrrr...Don't ever assume anyone is doing something to get noticed. Because the same could be said for any band, anywhere.
    Flibo
    Because when you're releasing records you're supposed to share good music, not gather attention or have fun. Those are just secondary motives.
    scarter1192
    bobbyincide666
    Vitor_vdp
    Flibo wrote: Because when you're releasing records you're supposed to share good music, not gather attention or have fun . Those are just secondary motives.
    *facepalm*
    akbrucke
    Ultraussie wrote: Is it Heavy like Pyscroptic or Lamb of God or is it Spacey Epic Shit like Dream Theater or Mastodon?
    Umm.... neither. I wish it was one of those though, I love all those bands! Lol the best way I can describe it is every kind of music you could think of that shouldn't work together, put together, with a bunch of loud annoying screaming on top. It doesn't work for me, but to each his/her own...
    Magero
    Anyone trying to describe this band would be best to just show them the music. The Dillinger Escape Plan meets HORSE the band would be a very vague way of summing them up, but even then, there's an absolute shedload full of other bits and pieces. While I do agree that IWABO's songs aren't nearly as well constructed as other "chaotic/mathy/avant garde metal" bands like Dillinger or uneXpecT, but it never strays too far into PsyOpus level mindless widdly widdly, and I genuinely enjoy hearing how this band that basically became known in the scene by adding the Inspector Gadget theme to one of their songs, has progressed and actually evolved. It's still not quite "there" yet, but I can see myself listening to this for at least a few more weeks. Cameron has definitely gotten so much better with her singing compared to It's All Happening, that's for damn-sure.
    huevos
    It needs something, more. This band has always had the techy-spas shit down, but without any soul. IWABO are to BTBAM (mad -core abbreviations!) as Brain Drill are to Anata. Technically well crafted, but vacant and gimmick-riddled. They need to step back from the cut and paste songwriting method. I believe that's what is holding them back from being a great band.
    BloodRedSkies
    listened to a couple songs from this, and it's just a mess of sounds that literally has no appeal whatsoever
    Vitor_vdp
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Jon777 wrote: lol @ the user rating. Is it really THAT bad? No, it's great. It's just UG is overrun with losers who don't cant respect what other musicians create. It's not fair that those guys got to rate this down so much.
    It's called having an opinion. I know right, WTF. People don't like the same band as I do, WTF.
    YamiJoey
    Thrasher11 wrote: dont be fooled by this review, cameron can't actually sing very well and is terrible live. but so are most singers that try to do both in a live situation. im glad they're not still trying to call this grindcore
    If 5th of May was anything to go by, you're totally wrong. Might buy this off the back of this review. I was hoping for it to be good, but whatever.
    haz_uk
    ninfan200 wrote: this is what happens if you get hipsters into metal
    this +100000
    Fwenx
    Abom wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Fwenx wrote: This is the same as with modern art imo. Hell, I don't understand every form of art, and I sometimes think it's bullsh!t. People may think this is bullsh!t. I think it's just highly experimental, and I like it for that. True, it's all over the place. True, it's chaotic. But they are doing something unique. So I get why this gets such a low rating. Just isn't for everybody to appreciate. Well, you see, its just bad. Like, really. There are bands who do it better, bands who are far more into their game. This is literaly just a bunch of people messing around for the sake of being noticed. Spot on.
    I don't think they're bad, just that they're even more apart from everything than most bands in the same genre. As said, highly experimental, but not badly written, played or 'just for the sake of getting noticed'. I think that's the least of their goals. and unrelated: They really do put on a hell of a show. One of the most hilarious and awesome shows I ever saw, along with Devin Townsend's show which was just shits and giggles all over the place.
    Ultraussie
    Duper_Kewl
    THIS BAND IS CLASSIFIED AS AVANT GARDE! if you say this just copies other bands,your right in some aspects. but with that they are very original. the point of the album is to leave you thinking, what the **** did i just hear? and from the comments im seeing i can confidently say it does this pretty well. but what im also seeing in those comments, they are listening for the wrong reason. i know this may not be the genre most people enjoy, but if you arent that into very linear music you will probably enjoy this band. but my point is most of your arguments are invalid considering the intentions of the band. r
    DemonBoobies
    the randomness in the music just makes me go bonkers! I love this album to death, though I try hard to ignore the fact that it all sounds the same
    COBHC145
    Metal Record and "Catchy hooks and Riffs" don't go together....ever.... Also, isn't this that record that's supposed to be black metal or some bollocks?
    Abom
    Spot on.
    .Joker.
    Female screamer? No thanks...She sounds like Marge Simpson for gods sake. Where's the emotion?...she's just making noise.
    billthugs
    While they may not be my favorite band, it's awesome to see a band from my hometown on the UG homepage.
    tancanada
    dale-banez wrote: Ha, kind of looks like the cover of BTBAM's EP at a glace
    I think they did that on purpose. This band is full of amazing musicians, but they make terrible music. It's kinda sad.
    EpiExplorer
    I found it to be highly annoying. Bands like Mr Bungle or Unexpect have consistency and flow, where as this is one jarring movement to the next without any real sense of going anywhere, then they added in some cheesy happy funtime metalcore for extra lulz.
    SchecterC-1+Man
    I dunno, I've always kinda liked Cameron's singing. It'd be nice to hear her in a non-metal setting, imo. This band has always been something of a guilty pleasure for me...it's fun for a casual listen, but not so much if you really pay attention to everything. Also, still disappointed by the lack of any actual growls, like she used to do back in the day...
    CR!$+@
    To be honest i tryed to listen to this but i think ill stick to music where i can actually understand what the singer is trying to say, dont get me wrong some screamo music is good and veary well played but this isnt one of thoes bands.
    miketheman401
    I thought the album was a chaotic mess (but in a good way). Ah well, to each his own I guess.
    Negativeone666
    dale-banez wrote: Ha, kind of looks like the cover of BTBAM's EP at a glace
    Glad I wasn't the only one. Regarding this band, I don't understand what they're trying to achieve. I feel they're trying to do what DEP already does... except Dillinger's awesome.
    BwareDWare94
    lol. I had a friend once tell me that anything with screaming is death metal. Anyway, I find myself very bored when I listen to this band. They might be creative from a distance, but when one listens closely, one realizes that the band just seems to go to random places for the hell of it. A song should be fluid, not a mass collaboration of different sounds that don't mesh.
    rongold360
    i actually quite enjoyed it, they did an amazing job making what they love, even if most people didnt enjoy it, i did. i love it. 9/10
    Zelos45
    +500000
    ProgJazzMath
    Jon777 wrote: lol @ the user rating. Is it really THAT bad?
    Fwenx
    EpiExplorer
    t0mmyf3ar
    Well TBH, I might not be a great critic for this album but they are a bunch of great people who have fun with what they play, so it was worth me listening to it. I will absolutely go see them live again, they put on a great show
    DR Tacos
    This album is awesome the band is one of the best at this style of music! They change genres so rapidly but still keeps it all flowing. Krysta can scream/growl like any beast and can sing clean too. The band can perform and sound just as good live as they do on albums. This album should have a 5 ratting long live IWABO!!!!
    Thrasher11