117 Degrees review by Izzy Stradlin

• Released: Mar 10, 1998
Izzy Stradlin: 117 Degrees

The album is full of great guitar licks. Pumping bass guitar, Duff plays (former GN'R Bassist)on some of the songs. The record sounds like Izzy just decided to make a record with blues, punk, alittle country, surfing tunes, some of everything and got a couple of good musician over and jammed out.

The lyrics are good. Most songs have a message behind them. But Izzy has a very mello voice and its very unique (like Bob Dylan) but it doesn't put you to sleep or gives you a headache. Good songwriting about the s--t you deal with in life.

This album is very different then Izzy's work with Guns N' Roses. It shows Izzy's roots to the bluesy rock n' roll. Which I don't believe this is the first album his made after leaving GN'R. But I think it shows what type of music influence Izzy added to GN'R. In a lot of GN'R's jam guitar tunes like "Move To The City" and "Pretty Tied Up" just great guitar playing throughout the whole album. "Ain't That A Bitch" is a great blues song, then theres "I was here before you" which start as a slow country song. Grunt is a punk rock song and you can see alot of different types of music on this album which shows Izzy's vercitality as a musician. It's an album that you would pop in your american made car and cruise around picking up chicks to. Some of the songs sound to closely the same. Great guitar playing through the whole thing. I was very surprised that this album was so good I got it for only like $7. I would definitly buy it again if something happened to it. I would tell any guitarist or even anyone who likes listening to rock n' roll guitar to check this one out. Nice job Izzy.