In Between Dreams Review

Jack Johnson: In Between Dreams
Released: Mar 1, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Singer/Songwriter, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, College Rock
In Between Dreams is a bit brighter and more upbeat, but his song remains the same.
 9.2
 9.4
In Between Dreams Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2005

Sound: Although Jack's sound does not vary as much as some artists, he still maintains a stimulating sound. His heavy use of the bass guitar reinforces the rhythm of his guitar to achieve a cruzy, funky yet passionate style. The use of instruments such as the ukelele and accordian give this album the unique sound that Jack is so well known for. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazing. Perfectly used in melody that only Jack can pull off. His lyrics are quite philosophical and metaphorical which I love. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is fully sick and I would highly recomend you buy it. If you like other artists such as John Butler, Ben Harper and Coldplay you should love this too. If this was stolen I would certainly buy it again. // 10

In Between Dreams Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2005

Sound: If you like smooth sounding, easy going, relaxing music then this is your album! I believe this is album is better than the previous two, Brushfire Fairtales & On And On, but they are well worth hearing as well. Some people keep talking about how he doesn't changes things up. For my taste most of the songs carry enough of a different beat. Why not stick to what you do best? He has taken a couple soft jabs at himself saying exactly this but no one seems to hear. Sometimes you catch yourself asking, "There is only 3 band members playing?" // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics pretty much show how free spirited he is. I like the fact he writes about places he has visited (Breakdown). But also he has off the wall stuff where songs were initially just jokes to his wife or a friend but turned out to be hits. It's nice to hear such a pure voice. In this time and age there is so much trash out there. What a pleasent change of pace! // 10

Overall Impression: If you've never heard to read anything about JJ then one just cannot understand. This is the ultimate laid back guy. During concerts he usually what he has been wearing all day. Mostly flip-flops & t-shirts. Nothing out of character. I can't find anybody like him right now and I think he is going to be a household name. Definitely listen to it. Give it a few tries. I just picked up In Between Dreams last month and am thinking about getting another one so I don't have to switch it out between home & car. // 10

In Between Dreams Reviewed by: MrOtter, on march 12, 2005

Sound: Jack Johnson has always had a characteristic sound. His melodic guitar is great for easy listening and his vocals really portray the mood of this album. he has created very creative and intresting riffs that really fit the style. The only problem I really have with the sound is that it is rather repetitive, Jack seems to just stick with what he is good at but it doesn't give the songs their of differentiation. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very much keeping with Jack's established acoustic style and if you havent listened to his music before you might find them pretty intresting but for me most of them seem less inspired than his past albums. Though all the songs portray his emotion well most of them are just love songs that don't do enough to make them truly memerable. I personally am not a big fan of love songs to start with so I was slightly dissapointed. Altogether they are still god, just not as good as past albums. The lyrical highlight here is probably "Good People" and "Breakdown." // 6

Overall Impression: This album overall was worth the buy but I think I will be listening to Jack other albums more often ("Brushfire Fairytales" and "On and On". If you are a Jack Johnson fan I highly suggest it, and if not you might want to try one of his older albums. The acoustic guitar is great and keeps things intresting though the lyrics are not quite as intresting as the music behind them. If this album were lost or stolen I might get it again but probably not right away, maybe jsut borrow a friends every now and then and listen to brushfire fairytales. // 8

In Between Dreams Reviewed by: hywelgreg, on april 24, 2006

Sound: Jack Johnson is an acustic rock sound which the guitar in is very simple to play but still sounds amazing. He has two hobbies in his life, singer/songwriter and professional surfer. His voice is probably the major part of his success. It is soft and gentle which adds to the feel of the acustic rock/ chilout music. His album isn't like many others which have 1 or 2 singles and the rest are just b-sides. Even though it is a combination 1 or 2 singles and b-sides the b-sides if released could easly make a top 10 hit. // 9

Lyrics: His lyrics are an important part of his music and the compliance of the lyrics with the music is very well done. He has an easy laid back sound which the lyrics about his life which is generally easy and simple. Like I previously mentioned his voice is probably the major part of his success. It is soft and gentle which adds to the feel of the acustic rock/chilout music. // 10

Overall Impression: The most impressive song is the bonus track Mudfootball (live) however Good People is one of my favourites. I love everything and hate nothing. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it again unless he had realeased a new album for me to buy. // 9

In Between Dreams Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on october 13, 2006

Sound: Jack Johnson is the main guy you would call to sing to you to make you go to sleep. His peace-loving songs have a gentle, happy feeling around them. Not much need for any solos in this, well, there arn't any there anyway. Strumming the strings of his acoustic guitar he tells interesting storys and his style is smooth, soothing and warming. Charming and very tasteful music, this album produced not only by Jack Johnson but by Merlo (bass) and Adam Topol (drums) aswell who also make a great contribution to the band and the sound also. Jack's soft voice mixes in with the guitar he plays. The sound is sometimes slow and sometimes gets a bit up-beat but still a nice felling inside you reflexses from the song. You'll probably find someone listening to this album nodding their head up and down in time with the rhythm. Some of the songs make you want to cry because they make you think of sad things even though they are happy. The song names are well chosen I've noticed. It sounds a bit 'folkish' in a way, if you know what I mean. The chord combinations are great and obviously really stand out. So overall mixed views over aspects of the sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are based on life situations, PSE or PHSE, (sorry for reminding some kids from school about a lesson). The lyrics are interesting in all ways: The storys told, Johnson's unique voice ( which somehow he doesn't sound to be putting much effort into, it sounds as if it's litrally just coming out. Dictionarys have been used. Nice vocabulary goes into to produce the lyrics. Jack Johnson seems to be in his own little world. The guitar really blends in with the lyrics and their meaning. Really plonks and great big ear-to-ear smile across your face beaming. The song words arn't too detailed using big long, hideous words. You wouldn't at all expect any swear in the album right from the first moment of listening to the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Very influential and talented man Jack Johnson. Not another album like this one really (that I know of). The most impressive songs from this are 'Better Together' with the fabulous lyrics involved, 'Good People' with the kool feel evolving round it, 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing' which is so good with the drums and probably the fastest song on the album! 'Staple it together' kool intro, bass and guiatr, nice stacatto, sounds as if all istrument players have gathered together to do their little bit. 'Breakdown: I think this is one of the 'sad songs' it makes you feel like that and I'm sure you'll agree.'Constellations': This is the last song on the album and I'm glad it's placed last because first of all that's the final impressoin of the album and probably the song that sticks in yor head, and could change your nightmares to dreams - and talking about bed and sleep: (if your not already asleep) this one'll put you to sleep most definate. Well the best songs I've listed is about half the album! I love the change of music, you couldn't imagine Jack as a rockstar, if your interested in music and want to make history and be the next big thing! then you'd usually wont to be a rock guy of course. Nothing much I hate about this album, at all. If this were lost/stolen I would defenetly buy it again, well worth the money. A definate-buy: a must buy of 05/06. The front cover is nice and the case for this is not as it seems, but when you touch it and actually feel it you'll notice it's not in a see-through plastic case. Pure talent, and glad to see that Jack and his band won a brit. // 9

Comments