To The Sea review by Jack Johnson

• Released: Jun 1, 2010
Jack Johnson: To The Sea

When it comes to Jack Johnson, most people think about acoustic guitar. Well in this album he probably uses an electric 3/4 of the time. It's hands down his most diverse album he's ever written. He's got some little guitar solos in there, with some effects like tremolo and chorus that are effective enough to take you to a beach on Hawaii. I think a lot of older fans will not enjoy it as much at first, but this album grows on you, so much that it turned into my favorite album by him. If I were to describe the sound I would say it's Jack Johnson thrown into the grunge era. Maybe it's the long hair that sparked his imagination? I'm giving this a 9 because for a Jack Johnson album, it's great. I'm not comparing this to anything a guitar virtuoso would write, but what Jack would write.

The lyrics are like all other lyrics he writes, pretty straight forward and organic, but great. He has a song on here written for his daughter I believe, which is a very emotional song. It's hard to explain his lyrics, they're just so simple, for example in the song "When I Look Up", it goes "When I look up at the stars as I walk in the night down the street it feels good." Straight forward, right? Some people may not like this, but I love him for his simple approach to music.

Like a previously stated, this album is by far my favorite. There's so much variation in it, it's a like a big breathe of fresh air. He puts out his happy vibe like always, but knows how to mellow it down with songs like "My Little Girl" and "Only The Ocean". I love every song, I honestly couldn't pick a favorite, but the songs that I always find myself singing is "Only The Ocean", it's just so relaxing and happy, and "Turn Your Love", who has a female singer in the background, who I believe is Paula Fuga, who is also featured in a more upbeat version of Better Together that came with this purchase. If this was stolen from me, I'd be very very mad, and then I would go and buy it again. It will take a couple listens to get used to it, but it will grow on you.

BrokenDstring
    I was going to review this album...and say basically all the same things! Great review, spot on analogies. Great album!
    shuvelhead
    this albums only more of the same from static. it pales in comparison to brushfire farytales or on and on. jacks gone all green and preachy he needs to go back to being an easy going surfer. i was glad i limewired this album.
    MateoGLG
    i think this album is great, not his best, but still great... here you can see that jack isn't only soft relaxing music, he can also have great energy songs: You and Your Heart or To The Sea for example... i've been his fan since 2003 and I think its great he gets another 'style' but just for now... im starting to think that because now he is more famous (im peruvian, but i've notices that he has started to be in the US radios more often) he wants to get a more popular sound so he can sell more... hope its not the reason of his change...
    Caboose911
    such a great album... i just started listening to jack johnson and he is great he writes incredible music
    laura5674
    yeah this album is really good, my friend lent it to me first and said i probably wouldn't like it at first because its so different from his other albums and he was right at first i didn't take to it much but after a few listens i love it, all the songs are really good i wouldnt say there were any bad ones on the whole CD