It Might Get Loud [DVD] Review

artist: Jack White, Jimmy Page, The Edge date: 02/24/2010 category: compact discs
Jack White, Jimmy Page, The Edge: It Might Get Loud [DVD]
Released: August 14, 2009
Davjis Guggenheim took 3 musicians from 3 different genres and put them together to talk about their influences.
 Content: 10
 Production Quality: 8
 8.9
 8.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
It Might Get Loud [DVD] Reviewed by: ofreena, on february 24, 2010

Sound: This DVD is not so much about, "Hey, look at what this artist is doing now musically!" It is showing a lot of "This is how I got here." The DVD shows clips of Jack Whites old influences, many old clips from U2 music videos, and discusses quite a bit of Jimmy Page's first real gig, where he played with a skiffle band. This DVD never shows one entire song, so sound is a bit hard to write about. // 8

Overall Impression: The opening scene is what caught my attention, and immediately told me, "I know I'm going to watch this more than once." It shows Jack White walking around a field in Tennessee, picking up random objects, and building a very basic guitar out of them. When all the artists are meeting, you can really tell the respect they have for each other. I never thought that The Edge from U2 would know much about Jack White, but he speaks respectfully of him. Davjis Guggenheim was very smart in the musicians he picked to do this documentary. He took 3 musicians from 3 different genres and put them together to talk about their influences. 3 guitarists with different styles, signatures, and levels of fame and got, what I see, as the best result possible. When all the musicians meet in the centre room, you see Jack White stare at the Edge, as he shakes Jimmy Page's hand before his own, but of course White doesn't show any dismay in this, because of course he knows Page is the more respectable guitarist. I love that an equal amount of all the musicians is shown. You would expect, Jimmy Page to have the most coverage, but in fact it's not by a landslide. All the musicians are given a fair opportunity to talk about whatever they feel needs to be spoken about. I hated the songs chosen by the White Stripes to be displayed. Jack White is portrayed as a country musician. The house they show him in is in the middle of nowhere, with a field of cows around it. They show him playing "Hotel Yorba" at a Home in front of many seniors and that's unfair to mainly showcase that sound. I disliked how none of the Edge's really good songs are shown, they show him doing the riff for "Elevation" which is just two barres, I believe, and not a whole lot else. Jimmy Page had fair coverage in his skill level. If this were stolen, I would buy it again. It was 25.99 at my local HMV, and it was worth it. // 9

Comments