The Glass Passenger review by Jack's Mannequin

• Released: Sep 30, 2008
Jack's Mannequin: The Glass Passenger

The Glass Passenger is a follow up to 2005's Everything in Transit. Unlike their first album, the Glass Passenger is not a concept album, however, that doesn't mean it lacks a story within itself. The album kicks off with their first single "The Resolution", which seems to be, along with the majority of the other songs on this album, about Andrew McMahon's fight with cancer. This can also be seen in tracks such as: "Swim", "Crashin'" and "Caves", to name a few. The line "I'm alive, I don't need a witness to know that I survived." sets the tone for what will be a different, but nonetheless, great album from Jack's Mannequin. Don't expect a sound like "Everything in Transit". There are quite a few more "mellow" numbers on this album, compared to EIT. Never the less, Andrew delivers with a new, re-vamped, Jack's Mannequin sound.

As always, Andrew impresses us with his lyrical mastery. One of the more powerful verses on this CD comes from the track "Swim", when he talks about not giving up, even when facing death. "Yeah you gotta swim, don't let yourself sink. Just follow the horizon, I promise you it's not as far as you think". There are a few songs, however, where the music doesn't quite go with how he sings certain lines. The tracks "Suicide Blonde" and "Caves" are prime examples. While the lyrics are great, it seems he has some tone issues, during the chorus of "Suicide Blonde" and the beginning of "Caves". Andrew will always impress us with his ethereal voice, but, he might have benefited from taking an extra look at these tracks. He wanted them this way for a reason, so who am I to argue with genius?

Overall, this album falls short of the mark set by "Everything in Transit". I hate comparing albums to one another because they try to relay a different message, thus, creating a different sound, but I feel the need to come out and say it, since so many fans will compare the two. They are two very different albums. I think the Hardcore Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate fans will adore this album after hearing it 3 or 4 times. Because this album has been delayed time and time again, there will definitely be a few fans out there that don't feel that it lives up to the hype. Lets be honest, it would be hard for an album to live up to 3 years of hype. Jack's Mannequin comes close with a solid album that helps us see how great life really is, even when faced with adversity.