Undiscovered review by James Morrison

• Released: Aug 15, 2006
James Morrison: Undiscovered

James Morrison is a breakthrough artist in the UK. I discovered his music after browsing through the UK Itunes Chart. I had sampled his single, "You Give Me Something" and I was just amazed how his voice just moved me. His influences include Otis Redding, Al Green, Cat Stevens, and Van Morrison, along with others. I can definitely hear these styles fused in together to create his "own" sound and it's just terrific! Each track has it's own emotion. For example in "Under The Influence", it's more of an uplifting upbeat song with soul.

Morrison has written powerful lyrics. Each lyric he sings in the song just fits. He puts his own 'feel' when he sings. Sometimes he sings in a slow soothing voice to put you in that kind of mood, then he kicks it up a notch by singing his voice out, especially in the choruses. In "The Rain Must Fall" the chorus starting on 1:53, Morrison delivers his range in voice in this one. Especially on this lyric: If the sky turns black/If there's no way back/It won't matter much to me/If I had you.

This is probably the best music I've heard all summer or even this year. Listen to "Better Man" because it will let you get a chance to see 'who' he is. If one gets a chance to listen to this artist, listen to his debut single "You Give Me Something". The most impressive songs on the album are "This Boy" and "Wonderful World", "This Boy" has an acoustic in the beginning with catchy verses and choruses. "Call The Police" and "Under The Influence" are also great ones. The slow tempo songs are "The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore", "One Last Chance", and "The Last Goodbye". "Actually, his whole album is great altogether. This is probably the only album where you can listen to every song on the album without having to skip a track. If I had lost it I'd go to the nearest store immediately to buy it!