Undiscovered review by James Morrison

• Released: Aug 15, 2006
James Morrison: Undiscovered

The sound of James Morrison, in my opinion. Is very good, I like the soul feel he has to it, not many artists have that these days, he isn't just another guy with an acoustic. I have watched interviews with him and he tells the story behind most of his songs, that's just it they have storys, it's really interesting and clever lyrics. I'd say his downfall is that he is pulled towards the cliche subject of love. Most of his songs are upbeat and really get you moving apart from a few slow 6/8 time soul ballads which adds contrast to the album, but his voice isn't as good when he is singing slow songs, it sounds better when it's singing an upbeat passionate song.

The lyrics he used are personal to him, or adapted to suit him, he uses some clever phrasing and the story within the song is good to keep attention. He has a tendancy though, to slip into rhyming couplets, making the song less interesting. I'd say that his relation between his music and the lyrics is he tends to play a chord, sing a line, play a chord, sing a line before he gets into the swing of it, this gets slightly repetitive. His voice is extremely soulful, it has a rough texture which is what I think makes him stand out, it would be better if he could reach the lower notes, but he can't help that.

At first glance you think, he's just another Jack Johnson, James Blunt but he's not you listen to his lyrics and his soulful texture and he's different to anything out there at the moment, which helps. The most impressive songs on the album are 'Call the police' which has very clever lyrics and 'This Boy' which is a slow ballad about his, or any other childhood. I don't hate anything about this album, but the real test is the test of time, will I still like it after listening to it again and again, which is the mark of a good album if I do. If I lost it or it was stolen I would definatly buy another one.

dan_the_pie
    he should change his name. hes gonna get compared to a more talented morrison-jim of the doors. he should go by morris rather than morrison
    jv_music
    i think it's useless to change your name. you were born with it so keep it. plus morrison is his family name so why change that? anyways, i think he's a great new music artist that has potential to go a long way.