The Guitar Song Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Guitar Song Reviewed by: BwareDWare94, on may 31, 2011

Sound: You don't hear a lot of Jamey Johnson on Country radio these days. That's just fine with this listener. See, Jamey is an actual Country artist. He isn't a pop artist disguised as a country artist. If he has to sacrifice radio play to sound this good, not to mention this legitimate, I sure hope he continues to do so. The Guitar Song is a collection of traditional country songs, ranging from foot-tappin upbeat songs like "Playing the Part" and "Macon" to slower numbers such as "Thankful for the Rain" and "Cover Your Eyes." Most impressive about The Guitar Song is that it's a double album. There are twelve tracks on the "Black" album and thirteen on the "White" album. Johnson wrote or co-wrote nineteen of these twenty-five songs. Once I'd heard this number, I knew this album wouldn't let me down. If one thing is commonly known about Jamey Johnson, it's that he's one hell of a songwriter. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, as a whole, are absolutely phenomenal. Combine that with Johnson's unmatched singing skills and it creates an awesome listening experience. Some lyrical highlights include "Thankful for the Rain" and "My Way to You." As far as singing goes, "Macon" and "Heartache" are great examples of Jamey's voice. Most important to me is that I can't hear any added production. Johnson's voice doesn't sound fake at all, which is amazing in itself. Too many artists in this day and age allow their voices to be overproduced to the point that they don't even sound like human beings. Johnson doesn't let this happen. This guy's the real deal, folks. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Johnson's best album. While The Dollar and That Lonesome Song are very good, this album is the current apex of his very impressive career. Standout tracks on the "Black" album are "Playing the Part" and "Heartache." On the "White" album, the standout songs are "Macon" and "My Way to You." I absolutely love this album. It's legitimate country music. If you want to hear a little steel guitar now and again, not to mention a singer who sounds the same live as he does recorded, you better pick this album up. This is the best country album I've ever purchased. It's well worth a few extra bucks, considering the format. // 9

Comments