Catching Tales review by Jamie Cullum

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Jamie Cullum: Catching Tales

This record shows the growth in Jamie Cullum. He no longer has just pop-jazz tunes like on Twentysomething. Instead he sticks to a very neo-classic jazz style. It works amazingly well. His back up band is spectacular, and special recogintions go to his bass player and drummer (their names escape at the moment) because they bring everything together. Jamie Cullum's Catching Tales is a wonderful new approach to the old genre of jazz.

He's still growing as a writer, although his lyrical skills have greatly matured. He shines on tracks like "Get Your Way," "Mind Trick," and on "Photograph." His use of piano melody with his voice flawlessy fits together. The bass lines and melody also work well together. Although his voice isnt spectacular, it's better that way because he seems more down to earth and honest. I swear he is like John Mayer on a piano.

Catching Tales is much much better than Twentysomething, which I found a bit weak. Even if you aren't a big jazz fan Jamie Cullum will turn you on. I love his fine tuned ear and melody lines, ala Lennon/McCartney. If anybody stole it I would immediatly get it back. Listen to Jamie Cullum, enough said.