Nothing's Shocking review by Jane's Addiction

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Jane's Addiction: Nothing's Shocking

This is the first (and only) Jane's Addiction CD I've bought. I always heard I would like there sound - and guess what? I heard right. Jane's Addiction sounds, quite frankly, like a jazz funk metal punk rock n roll screamathon. And it is. I love the sound, and I can't say whether this CD displays it better than the other CDs like I could with AC/DC or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I can certainly tell you there are great songs on this CD and that there are no bad ones.

The lyrics to this aren't always brilliant, but they're certainly always good. They always fit the song and never seem out of place. In fact, a lot of time, there isn't singing because the music is so weird that there wouldn't be appropriate lyrics with it (honestly weird music this is). It's still great when the singer does sing, but it's not like this is the most gifted section of the CD.

This CD is pretty good. It's got a great sound, and 3 or 4 great songs. The rest of the songs are always above average, but not all of them are classics. For that reason I'll give it a 4. It's not flawless, but it's something I could put in a CD player, hit random on, and enjoy not say "aww any song but this one" to at any point at all. I wouldn't say it's a classic, but if you're looking into buying a Jane's Addiction CD; this is my starting point, and what a great starting point it is.

mr.glavin
    Janes Addiction are a massively underated band. They are up with The Red Hot Chilis as one of the defining bands of 90's alt rock. Great songs include: Ocean Size, Jane Says, Mountain Song, Ted Just Admit It and Summertime Rolls. Long live Janes.
    jsspang
    I do not understand why you people compare JA to RHCP. They are 2 totally different style bands. Navarro went on the record as saying "he hates playing funk". That is why he didn't last with RHCP and why OHM sounds nothing like they ever did before or after Navarro. JA is a great band and I do agree they are way Underrated. This is a GREAT CD and displays some of my favorite guitar work Navarro has ever done.
    bassplayer496
    I would say this is a classic, I honestly like every song on here, even up the beach has an oceanic, hypnotic sound. Jane's addiction in my opinion is the best funk metal band of all time, and this is probably their magnum opus, but Ritual Do Lo Habitual might also be. But this album's amazingly consistant, and is just an all around classic. ~Love, Dallas~
    getawaygman
    I.would have to disagree with the review. While there are some great songs like oceansize, Jane says, had a dad...there are filler abounds. Up the beach, Ted just admit it, standing in the showed thinking, thank-you boys, pigs in Zen, are all pretty bad. But the good moments outshine the bad. This isn't a cd that I bring in my car and listen to start to finish. If you want that go with strays or ritual de Lo habitual. As Janes addiction went on almost every song has the quality of ocean size or Jane says etc...and since this is a guitar player site...can anyone play any of the ocean size solos...no YouTube videos for it