Celebration Rock review by Japandroids

• Released: Dec 2, 2
Japandroids: Celebration Rock

When you first listen to a track from this band, you won't notice anything odd except for the melodic hooks, thundering drums and chaotic guitar riffs. However, this is the exact sound Japandroids were looking to achieve from just a single guitarist (Brian King) and drummer (David Prowse) with both handling vocals. The duo hail from Vancouver, B.C. and started up in 2006 after the two founders met in University. Music styles used in the record are mostly indie-rock, with some of the parts sounding similar to a mix of Explosions In The Sky, punk rock as well as classic rock. "Fire's Highway" has a very similar feeling to Tom Petty's "Refugee" which can be clearly heard.

The overall impression I get from the lyrics is simple; they get the job done. The lyrics vary from general teenage fury and empathy to specific stories of individuals who are waiting for something to happen as things happen ("Adrenaline Nightshift"). The concept of good and evil, as well as love are touched upon by the lyrics, such as "Continuous Thunder". This album was recording live and no double tracking was used, as well as little overdubbing, allowing the band to reproduce their sound live very well. The lyrics, vocal styles, and instrumentation all work together to make a very chaotic rock work, similar to Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Fever To Tell".

This album is an exciting addition to the current Canadian music scene brewing, especially in the B.C. area. These guys are the artists I wish Americans associate Canada with, not Justin Bieber. New listeners should definitely check out "The House That Heaven Built", "Younger Us" or "Fire's Highway". These have a certain energy comparable to tracks from At The Drive-In's "Relationship Of Command". What I love about it is the fine line between pop and indie these guys walk on, and the fact that its just simply a guitarist and drummer with both doing vocals. If this album was stolen/lost, I would buy it again. In fact, it's one of the few music albums I actually have bought, in addition to getting band merchandise straight from their website.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

dankhus
    Sean, there's a certain mindset you need to understand and get into in order to appropriately talk about this kind of music. Great album, 8-9.
    intothe
    I really appreciated this album, but Post-Nothing hit me harder than this one. I'd give this one a 7 or an 8, and Post-Nothing maybe even a 9.
    SeanX3187
    personally, i've listened to the album from start to finish, and i'm not a huge fan. don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but i wouldn't rate it a 9 lol. if i get around to it i'll post a more refined review, but for now i'll just say from my experience as an avid music listener they didn't do anything special with this album. none of the songs hit me like a great song should. i found myself getting bored towards the end. the album as a whole I would give a 6, and the song The House That Heaven Built I would give an 8. but like i said, this isn't my review, but i saw this posted and I felt the need to express that i believe this review is a bit inflated. sit tight and I'll be able to have my own review up in a couple days