Jarvis review by Jarvis Cocker

• Released: Nov 13, 2006
Jarvis Cocker: Jarvis

Variable pop rock, not dissimilar to Pulp's material, but this album is unique in it's own way. There are several different styles and tempos, from classic pop rock Don't Let Him Waste Your Time to piano ballad I Will Kill Again. With some similar guitar and synth sounds to his older works, Pulp fans and newcomers alike can enjoy the sound, which is brilliantly topped with the instantly recognisable voice of Jarvis himself.

If you thought Common People had good lyrics, it did. This album does not disappoint. Jarvis Cocker seems to have problems with just about everyone on the planet, and he certainly voices his opinions thoroughly. Fat Children is a particularly well written attack on (stereo)typical modern youths. The hidden track, Running The World, has a few minor expletives, namely the chorus line "Cunts Sre Still Running The World", but it's beautifully fitting to such a song.

The entire album is classic Jarvis Cocker. A collection of highly intelligent, lyrically astounding pop songs. It rates highly alongside Different Class. My personal opinion is that the most impressive tracks are Don't Let Him Waste Your Time, I Will Kill Again and From Auschwitz To Ipswich. Overall, a classic album from the (unique) voice of cultural observership.

fronkpies
    Saw him on later with Jools Holland last week promoting this album. Nice review.
    edibledevilboy
    Heard Running The World in summer, at reading fest, he knows how to get himself publicity if thats the single... not too great a song, never got into pulp too much. Respect to the man for staying in music though
    Burpin'Worm
    Aye he's been doing the rounds promoting this. I saw him perform Fat Children the other day, some great lyrics as I would expect from Jarvis.