Perpetual Burn review by Jason Becker

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
Jason Becker: Perpetual Burn

I was competely blown away by this record. As a lead guitar player myself, I had been listening Yngwie, Vai, and Satch already, but o my god. This man can play a guitar. If you think that one has to sacrifice melody for speed, you are horribly mistaken. Jason Becker is by far favorite guitar player now. First, on "Altitudes" Becker opens with a great build up to the first guitar licks, and in an instant shows that shred is as natural for him as breathing. The title track is also great, speedy and interesting all the way through. My favorite songs are "Mabel's Fatal Fable," "11 Blue Egyptians," "Altitudes" and "Air." Another masterpiece, "Air" is actually a somewhat welcome departure from his brilliant saturated guitar tone to a crisp clear one. This song is just unbelievable, you'd just have to hear it. I can say right now that there is excuse that Jason Becker isn't nearly as well known as Yngwie. The only bad thing about this record is that it will ruin shred for you. I seriously thought yngwie had been hit on the head when I listened to him after this.

No lyrics. It's an instrumental album.

I love it, and I have had it stolen already. I had to order it again but hey, it was worth it. Straight up, this album is a text book example of virtuousity. Brilliance, passion, emotion, intensity, it's all here. To cover the full spectrum, the CD gets the job done. "Air" is the cleanest song and probably the most impressive. His fastest shred parts are about 1 min and 55 sec into the title track and again 3 min and 12 sec into "Mabel's Fatal Fable," all throughout "11 Blue Egyptians," it like he was on steroids or something. All in all, truly incredible.