Perpetual Burn review by Jason Becker

• Released: Jan 1, 1988
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Jason Becker: Perpetual Burn

This album is so diverse that I fail to put my finger on a proper genre except "ridiculous guitar virtuoso" Altitudes, a nice and easy way to start the album off, which is different from most albums of any genres, but the first thing you hear is a pure 80's synth chord and suddenly Becker breaks in with his playing, it took me off guard but I absolutely love the way it picks up and just gets crazier and crazier as it goes on. Opus Pocus is also a song that resembles the style of Altitudes. There are a few songs that are a bit more "classical" such as Mabel's fatal fable and Dweller in the cellar, which has a bone chilling clean part that re-appears throughout the song, The songs Temple of the absurd and Eleven Blue Egyptians have much more "riffing" and it sounds more like some Cacophony, maybe because Friedman guest starred on this album ;). Air is clean from start to finish and its the best lullaby you can ever play for a child. Finally, Perpetual Burn, the title track, Jesus, it blows me away, start to finish, it starts off with a bang that takes you by surprise, the sweeping in this song nearly makes me cry it's such a beautiful album any guitar fan must own it, pretty much the epitome of shred guitarists and the whole era!

There are no lyrics thank god, nobody wants to have wicked songs ruined with potentially bad lyrics... Why can I not post the review without 250 characters in the lyrics box...

This album is often compared to Marty Friedman Dragons Kiss, which is unfair for Marty, cause complexity-wise, this album blows dragons kiss out of the water and then back in, its intricate time signatures and key changes make this any guitar fanatics collectible. Now I am certainly speaking out of my own opinion, just cause I enjoy it, doesn't mean you will but it's always gonna be worth a spin. I am deeply saddened by Jason's ALS, hopefully they can find a cure so that he can play again someday, shred on Jason, Shred on!!! \m/