Perspective review by Jason Becker

• Released: May 21, 1996
Jason Becker: Perspective

This is Jason's second solo album and is completely different in musical style to Cacophony albums and Perpetual Burn. This album strays away from his shredding past to more compositional based pieces. One of the main reasons for this was because of the affects ALS was having on his playing ability. Shred guitar still apparent in most of the songs but isn't the main center of the compositions. The album consists of several different musical styles such as chanting and classical elements.

The only song which contains lyrics is the Bob Dylan cover 'Meet Me In the Morning' which features as the last track. The lyrics in the Bob Dylan song seem rather strange especially the first 2 lines. I would be grateful if someone could perhaps tell me what the mean (I'm not very poetic). Primal (1) and Higher (4) contain chanting but no lyrics. Both of these pieces are amazing.

If someone was to buy this in hope of listening to some amazing shredding than they may be wasting their money. This album is much more complex and emotional than Perpetual Burn and contains a wide variety of musical styles. The most impressive songs on this album in my mind are Serrana, End of the Beginning and Primal. All of the other songs are good but I don't think they compare with these 3. The thing I love most about this album is the the range of musical styles it covers. Everything from African tribal type music to the classical songs Serrana and End of the Beginning where the Paganini influence is seen. I can honestly say there is nothing that I 'hate' in this album. If this album were stolen I would buy it again because it is just so eye-opening to listen to. Overall this is a great album that completely blew my mind. However I did find I had to force myself to listen to it a few times before it sank in. Long Live Jason Becker!

SpeedCacophony
    my god jason is amazing. i'm so glad to see someone praising his music ability and reviewing another of his cds. if you read this definately get his music.
    **Nero**
    i will say it in simpel words Playing fast + emotion = Jason Becker Jason Becker = 10 stars Player check Altitudes its soo Great.
    sambargun
    This is amazing. But one should listen to his cacophony and perpetual burn albums before listening to this. There is definitely a continuity even though the style is totally different. A must have.....
    Kurai
    i... dear god, i loved it, its too amazing!!! just... you say the sound is 9?? i'd say 10, impression? 10??? in deed lyrics... well, 7 lowers the overall so i'll have to say 10 =PPP!! !!!!!