We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. review by Jason Mraz

• Released: May 13, 2008
Jason Mraz: We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.

On an everyday basis, Jason Mraz is not your typical pop singer-songwriter. Immediately famous for his radio hits "The Remedy" and "You and I Both" off his debut "Waiting for my Rocket to Come", Mraz shows incredible growth from his days of man and a guitar style writing. In this album, he has concocted an impressively jazzy pop masterpiece, complete with duets with his contemporaries (Colbie Caillat & James Morrison), acoustic numbers, and overall great hooks on mostly every song. He has let down, to be sure, on his beginnings as a coffee shop singer, as evident in the opener, Make it Mine, which is so heavily produced (not a bad thing in this case)it would be impossible to render with only one band member, and also on the audibly promiscuous "Butterfly". Mraz's singing voice is tip-top that ranges from a softer coo to a marvelous Train(band)-like wail.

01.Make it Mine: does not sound at all much like the familiar Mraz. Very listentoable, but becomes one to skip if you enjoy the album as a whole. Appropriate opener. 02.I'm Yours: the albums first single, for a good reason. It's catchy. It's sweet. And it's not boring. Mraz's lyrics make up for the simple guitar (which has the same progression as "Under the Rainbow") and the modern day dislike of anything anybody else likes. 03.Lucky: should be the second single, but so far isn't. It's a duet with Colbie Caillat, and is very fun to listen to if you're in the mood that the singers are in. It's about being in love with a best friend. It's a bit cheesy, yes, but never "cutesey" as some modern drivel tends to be. 04.Butterfly: this song can not be described to anyone who has not heard it. Filled with a horn section and lyrics that leave the listener wondering if he really just sang that make this a must listen. 05.Live High: a guitar based song, it is most recognizably Mraz from the get go. Some poorly phrased verses leave him straining a bit to ryhme ('no not the devil either/always a good deed doer' is one ex.) such case. The choir at the end is a tad obnoxious, given that it would be much better as a spiritual message than a religious one. 06.Love for a Child: a song about a divorce, presumably Mraz's parent's, although this is never confirmed in the music. Well written and sung, and better than most things off Mr. A-Z, but not the best on the album. 07.Details in the Fabric: a more Mraz-y song again. A duet with Brit James Morrison. These two are difficult to distinguish on the song unless one really pays attention. A slow, pick-me-up song with a long "phone message" intro that ought be cut, but adds to the overall effect. Check out James Morrison if you like Jason Mraz. 08.Coyotes: not the best song, but also not really a very good song. It's listenable, sure, but the rest of the album makes it look a tad weak. Children's choir is a bit much, and the song isn't really about anything. 09.Dynamo of Volition: easily (my opinion) the worst song. Still better than other less-than-stellar pop tunes, but people who liked the 'clever' "Wordplay" off Mr. A-Z will enjoy this song. Impressive voice, but an annoying wavering trick in the chorus is a major turn off. 10.If it Kills Me: not bad, not bad at all. A simple acoustic tune that grows. Not one to skip, but it is an easy song to not pay attention to, both because it is near the end of an album, and it isn't particularly distinctive. 11.A Beautiful Mess: again, this is by no means filler, but it isn't really an addicting song either. Easy listening enough that you may not notice that it's a change from "If it Kills Me". In all, this is a fantastically worded album. Mraz is a gifted songwriter at the very least, and this album shows no difference to that conclusion.

Much, much better than other pop albums put out. In the truest sense of the word, this is a POP album. Fun, catchy, and altogether soulful, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things is most worth it when you can relate exactly (or it seems as if you can), or you're listening to it with someone who knows it as well as you do. While it is very much a singalong album, it's not an arena rock ensemble. You just find yourself remembering the words and singing along, but not because you have to in order to relate. If it were stolen or lost, I would find a way to recover it very quickly. One of few new(er) albums that would be worth buying again.

atthedrive-thru
    it's funny how mangeramone leaves one comment and yet all of you have brought more and more attention to it by quoting it over and over again, you're stupid as hell lol
    SAYN
    I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    armass6101
    I'm pretty much just a metal head, but I must admit this album is my guilty pleasure. Great grooves and just well written songs. I suggest giving it a spin. 'Make It Mine' is the highlight on the album for me. This is his only album worth listening to for me.
    BTBAM_7
    Shyne wrote: Actually listen to the album before you comment. Jason Mraz's guitarskills totally outweigh the skills of most 'metal' bands around.
    what a stupid statement my mom listens to this album so i have heard it lol. and his guitar skills are mediocre at best uncomparable the the skills of protest the hero btbam or fear before
    Mattinahat
    Andrew707 wrote: Mraz probably gets more poon than any metal artist out there nowadays.
    So? Music should be about music first. Chicks are just a bonus.
    Mattinahat
    SOUPerman432321 wrote: MangeRamone wrote: you're no metahead if you enjoy this crap you're no musician if you can't appreciate this so called 'crap'
    Oh i'm sorry if i don't like this, i guess that means i'm not a musician. Since music isn't subjective at all. Dumbass. Oh and not all metalheads are like that, i'm a huge metalhead and my two favorite bands are led zep and pink floyd. It's just this is too.. bleh. i feel like iv'e heard this before. but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    Dallen_007
    I've been looking at possible checking this out, and this review has pretty much sealed the deal. I'm definitely going to pick this up. Oh how I love elitist metalhead n00bs. They make me laugh...and hate this place a little more everyday.
    fitterhappier34
    SAYN wrote: noobiepro1996 wrote: mangeramone is totally right.im a freakin metalhead and i hate this kind of shit.pls UG,never ever publish pop stuff like this anymore dammit. I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    +1, beautifully executed.
    SOUPerman432321
    As for the CD, this is probably one of the most personally underrated albums I own...I got it back in November and it sat there for 2 months...I've really been getting into it over the past couple of weeks and I'm sorry I hadn't sooner.
    SOUPerman432321
    there's not much to say about this....the stupidity is overwhelming.
    MangeRamone wrote: you're no metahead if you enjoy this crap
    you're no musician if you can't appreciate this so called 'crap'
    bassface8892
    lol uh i agree with most of you on the metalhead thing, i listen to every genre of music (except for country, bleh), but uh Shyne...ur really pretty wrong with the guitar skills thing, i mean id say john mraz is a good song writer, and i think that thats probably more important then being technically brilliant guitarist, but he isnt that good of a guitarist...once again, good song writer, average guitarist
    Savage Animal
    Jason Mraz is annoying. I get what he's trying to do and I know he's good at guitar, but that doesn't mean I have to like or respect him. I can't stand this jazzy-pop style that him and Mayer and a few others play. Maybe if I was a young, highly impressionable female I'd like it more
    GeekInThePink
    Great to see Jason on the front page! This album is sweet! I saw Jason live back in May and it was spectacular. And whoever wrote this review completely left out the song "Only Human," my favorite song off the album!
    fender456
    no its a music site for guitar players
    noobiepro1996
    boberuski
    lol, this shit is so ****ing funny. who gives a shit what "a real musician"
    Mr_CiNiC wrote: Shyne : MangeRamone, you're a close minded prick. As for this album, I absolutely love it... It's so good to listen to in the car on a warm summers day driving along the beach. I'm yours is going to stick around forever, it's great. Saw Mraz in the summer of 08 in Hyde Park, London, and have to say, he's simply awesome live. I cannot stop laughing at that. That is probably the funniest thing I've read all day. You are absolutely pathetic. Go pick up a metal album, you pussy. Maybe listen to some good music that takes skill, unlike this pop shit. "A warm summer's day..." XD Fuckin' queer...
    wow, its immensly funny how narrow minded people are, if you want to hear skill, listen to bella fleck and the fleck tones, thats some serious skillage, ****in 12 days of christmas with a different key and time signiture for each day. tight shit
    TheChaz
    MangeRamone wrote: you're no metahead if you enjoy this crap
    Actually metal is heavily influenced by blues which came from the same musicians who also created jazz. Funny because Mraz is a jazz-pop artist...
    kmilongo
    Mr_CiNiC: do us all a favor and die already.
    dagget
    i hate it when people define themselves by what type of music they listen to...music is an art. I listen to nile and suffocation and i also listen to jason mraz and joshua radin. There are NO RULES to what type of music you can like or not like, if you close yourself off because of what other ppl think you'll miss out on great music, btw jason mraz is kickass
    Mr_CiNiC
    GeekInThePink
    GuitarGod9876 wrote: GeekInThePink wrote: And these elitist metalheads really need to shut up. Every nite i screw my mom! Yeah! =) Dude... WTF!!!!! Get a life!!!!!
    You're so cool.
    walkingminstral
    We Sing We Dance We Steal Things was one of the few albums that caught my attention in 2008. It truly is a good soundtrack to summer. I find it sad that some of UGs so called metalheads put the album down. Even if you dont like the particular sound or style of music doesnt mean Jason Mraz is a terrible artist or the album sucks
    Strat132
    ]
    fender456 wrote: Kastm wrote: tamotots wrote: Nafon wrote: You aren't a real musician if you don't appreciate other music. I'm a metalhead but I listen to alternative rock and stuff like this, doesn't make me a fag it just means I just like a different array of music than other people. Also noobiepro, that's a big comment from you seeing that you have 1996 at the end of your name. Does this mean you're only 12? Or did you just put a random 4 digits at the end of your username? This is a music site for musicians. MUSIC SITE. That means pop too. Real musicians appreciate all music. Even if they don't, they should at least respect them. actually this is a guitar site. no its a music site for guitar players
    All this quoting is driving me insane but Fender456 is totally right this is a music site for guitar players, now the whole thing about how jason mraz sucks well that thing is called an opinion and people have different ones but if u dont like his music then shut up and those stupid kids about being a metalhead, shut the **** up
    AU josh
    Hergiswi wrote: This album is pretty awful. It's a shame because I actually like "The Remedy."
    i like the remedy also. but i still thought this album was pretty good. in some songs he is almost raping like songs not on most songs in this album i like the other albums Mr A-Z and Waiting for my Rocket to Comehis lyrics are awsome (Y) but that dont meen this was not a good album this was actually pretty good peace out
    Hergiswi
    This album is pretty awful. It's a shame because I actually like "The Remedy."
    ShrimpthePimp
    You guys need to calm down. I am a metalhead in every way, shape, and form, yet i love this CD. yes, I said love. This is a beautiful album, and it's easily one of my favorites EVER. I for one can say that I am a metalhead who is also a Mraz fanboy.
    guitarplayer292
    See, i'm with the people going for the whole "this site isnt for just metalheads" thing, because it isnt. Sure, most of the articles are some how related to metal, but this Mraz album really aint too shabby. I've come to realize that something like this is very easy to listen to, especially if you just wanna relax. Let's face it, your about to lay down to bed, what are you gonna listen to, Jason Mraz or Slayer?
    racman92
    Hmmm... I'm a metalhead all the way and I like this album. Y'all need to get a grip. Do you think that every metal artists only influence is metal? Seriously...
    GuitarGod9876
    Dude... WTF!!!!! Get a life!!!!!
    Frosted Flakes
    Metalheads are elitist idiots. Just because it isn't metal doesn't make it garbage. And that's coming from someone who primarily listens to metal, and hardcore. I like Jason Mraz and his music. Unlike alot of other pop artists, he actually plays his guitar tastefully while he sings. Check him out on youtube.
    johnlennon1980
    the reviewer had one thing right, and that is that the album is a 9.3 out of 10, but one of the biggest things that ruined the review for me was him trying to say that the Dynamo of Volition is easily the worst song on the album, it is easily one of my favorites. That would be like me saying that P.s. I love you it easily the worst song on please please me
    travislausch
    Mr_CiNiC wrote: You are absolutely pathetic. Go pick up a metal album, you pussy. Maybe listen to some good music that takes skill, unlike this pop shit. "A warm summer's day..." XD Fuckin' queer...
    Says someone who lists The Wiggles as one of his favourite bands...
    rtdgamefan
    All these arguments are really ridiculous. This album was great. I really respect Mraz as a musician and human being.
    newt793
    love this guy...and album. really quirky and unique - not to mention some catchy songs and really good tunes to play on acoustic guitar gotta give him credit for this album.