Grace Review

artist: Jeff Buckley date: 02/18/2008 category: compact discs
Jeff Buckley: Grace
Released: Aug 23, 1994
Genre: Rock
Styles: Singer/Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock, Folk-Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Grace is an audacious debut album, filled with sweeping choruses, bombastic arrangements and searching lyrics.
 9.9
 9.8
 1,035
Grace Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2005

Sound: Grace was Buckley's only full length album in his tragically short career, but it is a masterpiece. It is a blend of styles, not confined to one single genre. The production of the legacy edition is a whole lot better than the original version though, you can hear the instruments and his voice more clearly. It's an emotional album, a real experience, and every time you listen to it, it gets better, and you find something new. // 10

Lyrics: As it says in the cover slip: 'Buckley could hit any note imaginable, musical or emotional. ' His voice is brilliant. The lyrics fit the music, and while they have meaning, they don't say it blatantly. They mean what you feel when listening to the songs, and the words and music combined simply pierce into your soul. In a lot of the songs there is an irony in the lyrics, or just the feel in the song that makes yourself wonder why he had to die. For those of you who know how he died: "Asleep in the sand with the ocean washing over" - Dreambrother. "Couldn't awake from the nightmare that sucked me in and pulled me under" - So Real. // 10

Overall Impression: There is no album that is on the same level as Grace. His voice is greater than any other voice, and the music more powerful than any other music. The most impressive songs would be Mojo Pin, Grace, Last Goodbye, So Real, Hallelujah, Lover You should've Come Over, and Corpus Cristi Carol. Eternal life is a bit disappointing seeing as the live version was so good. If they were stolen, I'd definitely buy the legacy edition again, it is well worth it, and I might buy the original album just for the sake of having it. // 10

Grace Reviewed by: n-ocentcriminal, on april 07, 2006

Sound: Breathtaking! No words to describe the brilliant work Jeff Buckley had done. His haunting 4 octave vocals are incredible and deliver quite an impact. His voice captures you and holds you hostage all until the last word has been cried out. His pouty overtones and immaculate singing ability will give you the feel of being at one of his shows; it is that personal. The CD also contains a good mixture of fast and slow stuff as Jeff mixes it up on the album. From grunge rock (Eternal Life) all the way to indie pop (So Real) and then to some r&b on the second disc (Forget Her), all of the parts fit together beautifully. It just goes to show you that music is endless and that Jeff Buckley appreciated music for what it is. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very imaginative and pretty unbelievable. For a guy who was in his early twenties to write something so amazing is very rare and sad because of his early departure. I just wonder what he could be doing now. Songs like (Last Goodbye) are exploding with catchy hooks and pop like lyrics. It definitey would have taken over the airwaves. I still think it should though. And other songs such as (Mojo Pin) contain a unique styling that is patterned after by a lot of famous bands these days. And if I haven't covered what Jeff Buckley's voice sounds like enough, all you have to do is scream as loud as you can, then imagine it being good. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, being that it is so ecclectic, there isn't many things to compare it to, maybe to his dad's. I would say the vocals surpass his dad's by just a hair. Maybe it could compare to what Ben Harper's works. Both can sing the hell out of a song. Jeff can really just sing so well, it is just hypnotic. The only thing that I hate about it is that it wasn't long enough. I would by this again just so I can have one playing in the house and car. // 10

Grace Reviewed by: Footzyrama, on february 18, 2008

Sound: This is Jeff Buckleys only full length Studio realease. It is also one of the most beautiful and inspirational CDs I have and will ever own. Drawing inspiration from different artists such as Leonard Cohen Jeff Buckley has crafted an album that from start to finish will fill you with an array of different emotions and will give you a renaissance of passion for music. Not only can Jeff Write fantastic music. But he can cover songs as well as any. With Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) and Lilac Wine (written by james shelton and performed by Nina Simone) Featuring on this album. // 10

Lyrics: Jeff Buckleys writing skills are some of the best I have personally ever experienced and some of the lyrics will stick with you for a very long time. None of his songs fail to dissapoint on this front. Vocally Jeff Buckley has followed in His Fathers footsteps and can hit a large vocal range. He also uses his vocals brilliantly in all songs. You'll be quite hard stretched to find a singer as brilliant as him. // 10

Overall Impression: I planned for months and months to buy this album before I finally came to the decision to purchase it along with Tim Buckley's Greatest Hits and my only regret is not buying it much, much sooner. It's Difficult for me too choose a few songs that really stand out for me on this album. If I try I know I will end up mentioning the whole album. However I would make special mention for 'lover you should've come over' as it is probably my favourite song on the album. However I often find myself argueing with myself as I pic a new song to name my #1. This album truly is brilliant through-out. If I lost this album not only would I buy a new one, but before that I would mourn for my loss. // 10

Comments