Mystery White Boy: Live '95-'96 Review

artist: Jeff Buckley date: 05/22/2012 category: compact discs
Jeff Buckley: Mystery White Boy: Live '95-'96
Release Date: May 9, 2000
Label: Columbia
Genres: Singer/Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock, Folk-Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Mystery White Boy is a valuable document, since it does prove that Buckley could transcend time and place with a live show.
 9.7
 9.4
Mystery White Boy: Live '95-'96 Reviewed by: guitargirl115, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Mystery White Boy is a compilation of live songs from Jeff Buckley's Mystery White Boy tour from '95 to '96. The sound of these tracks are rawer than those of Buckley's debut (and only completed) album Grace, and the listener is often treated to one of Buckley's trademark vicious guitar solos. The album has several original songs never recorded in studios, namely "I Woke Up in a Strange Place", "What Will You Say", and "Moodswing Whiskey", also songs from Grace, including the screamingly good road version of "Eternal Life", and some covers, including MC5's "Kick Out the Jams" and an unexpected cover of Gershwin's "The Man That Got Away". The one problem with the album is the fuzzy sound quality, and the amount of distortion on many of the tracks. // 8

Lyrics: Jeff Buckley's lyrics, as usual, are eloquent and beautiful. The best part about this album is how he really shows off his famous vocal range. The lyrics of "What Will You Say" are particularly moving; although Buckley co-wrote the song with Chris Dowd about Dowd's relationship (or lack thereof) with his father, the song is equally applicable to Buckley's attitude towards his father, folk legend Tim Buckley. // 10

Overall Impression: In some ways, I found this album to be preferable to Grace, simply because this was the way that Jeff Buckley's music was meant to sound, without the constraint of the studio or the record label's influence. Mystery White Boy serves as a harder rock counterpart of the acoustic Live at Sin-e. // 9

Mystery White Boy: Live '95-'96 Reviewed by: Footzyrama, on may 22, 2012

Sound: Jeff Buckley delivers a superb live performance for this CD. If you're a fan of his music then this album is a must buy. With Jeff's classics such as "Dream Brother" "Grace" and "Mojo Pin" featuring on this album it won't disappoint, however in my opinion the better songs on this album are the songs that can't be found on his studio albums. "I Woke Up In A Strange Place" and "What Will You Say" being the more impressive of these songs. "I Woke Up In A Strange Place", a beautiful song, however difficult to put a definitive answer on what it's about, is pieced together by a simple drum beat in the verse that becomes full of energy in the chorus with lots of cymbal hits added, and overdriven guitars playing simple riffs that are kept interesting with lots of short string bends and intentional feedback/open strings. This goes down as one of his best songs. "What Will You Say" delivers an ensured vocal performance and is a much "simplier" song than the former mentioned. With the main focus being on the focus, the drums play a simple beat that consists mostly of kick drum and hi-hat with snare added on the beat. The guitars play simple downstroke chords. This album ends with Jeff's most famous song, "Hallelujah". However he combines it with "I Know It's Over" superbly. This is a beautiful ending to the album. The only reason i haven't given this album 10/10 for the sound is because i feel there is a lack of bass within the mix. // 9

Lyrics: Jeff in this album shows why he's regarded as one of the greatest vocalists of a generation. His vocal range is very impressive and he flaunts it live, putting his entire body into the performance. "Hallelujah/I Know Its Over" and "What Will You Say" shows off his ability to really capture an audiences attention with his voice. Jeff's Lyrics are fantastic. They create images in one's mind, and although are often about the cliche topic of love, he describes feelings in such a manner to not bore the listen. // 10

Overall Impression: As I'm a massive Jeff Buckley fan I own almost everything he's ever recorded. I love this album, however if I had to re-purchase my entire Buckley collection I would purchase live at sine before I purchased this live album. Purely down to the mass in content that you get from that album. However if you already own that album and enjoyed it, I would recommend you purchase this also. // 10

Comments