Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk review by Jeff Buckley

• Released: May 26, 1998
Jeff Buckley: Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk

Each disc of 'Sketches' offers a different insight into Buckley's music. Disc 1 contains many notable sonic achievements, not least 'The Sky is a Landfill', and the incredible 'Vancouver'. Buckley also shows a softer side in 'Opened Once' and 'Morning Theft'. However, despite disc 1's achievements, it is the second disc that is of most interest. While disc 1 consists of music closer to what Buckley wanted it to become, disc 2 contains much rawer, sketchier, if you will, music. Songs found on this are by no means easy listening, songs such as 'Gunshot Glitter', 'I Know We Could...' and 'Murder Suicide Meteor Slave' are harsh on the ears but are delivered with such passion that it is impossible not to be moved by them. The poor sound quality of these tracks also give an appropriately haunting effect.

On this album Buckley once again proves himself as a poet as well as a songwriter. While his criptic lyrics will leave some banging their heads on the floor, trying to wring meaning out of them, most will be content to be carried away by his buitiful imagary ('Just like the ocean, always in love with the moon', 'The calm below that poisoned river wide', 'Twenty-nine pearls in your kiss, a singing smile').

Overall I'd rate this album higher than Grace, but not a good introduction to Buckley's music. It gives a much more varied, honest, and intense view of the man. It shows Buckley's dismissal of musical restrictions of the time in pieces like 'New Years Prayer' and the incredibly brave 'You and I', which it would take the most dedicated fan to listen through. This album also shows that despite what 'Grace' implies he did have fun. Songs like 'Haven't you Heard' and 'Your Flesh is so Nice' seem like excuses for him to enjoy himself. And, after journeying thruogh this strange sonic landscape, what could be a more appropriate end than 'Satisfied Mind'. A perfect album.

SixStrings
    hey guys i have this ablum, but it does not contain the song 'gunshot glitter' you are talking about. do you have a specail addition containing it?
    tallicafan888
    The two disc cd has Gunshot Glitter on. As far as I know, it has always been a 2 disc cd. The first disc is deffinantly my favourite. But the second disc has some great songs on, 'Jewel Box' for one.
    SixStrings
    tallicafan888 thanks for the response back, but i own the 2 disc version, but gunshot glitter is nowhere to be found. i looked the cd up on amazon.com to see if i could find a dif. version that contained that song and i didnt see one.
    DeadMansSong
    I also have a 2 cd copy of sketches, but it doesnt have gunshot glitter. as a relentless buckley obssesed affectionado this is very troubling to me. the album i have has 20 songs in this order: Disc One - Sky Is a Landfill, Everybody Here Wants You, Opened Once, Nightmares by the Sea, Yard of Blonde Girls, Witches' Rave, New Year's Prayer, Morning Theft, Vancouver, You and I. Disk Two- Nightmares by the Sea, New Year's Prayer, Haven't You Heard, I Know We Could Be So Happy Baby, Murder Suicide Meteor Slave, Back in N.Y.C., Demon John, Your Flesh Is So Nice, Jewel Box, Satisfied Mind. If anyone has another version of sketches I'd like to know what the differences are in the playlist, Gunshot Glitter or course being one of them. And FYI the best buckley album is Live @ Sin-E Legacy edition. Im surprised there are no review for it. If you want to know how Jeff really started off this recording shows it so well, you will be blown away. It's F'ing amazing. and as far as i know his version of the way young lovers do has the highest recorded note of jeff, perhaps that being that i havent heard gunshot glitter, but i cant imagine it getting any higher. BUY THIS ALBUM!!! but make sure its the legacy edition. the original only has like 3 songs. the legacy edition has like 16 along with a lot jeff talking which is incredibly effectual. He even does a Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn cover. BLOWN AWAY!!!
    So Real
    Gunshot Glitter is on the Australian version of Sketches I believe. I think the Japanese version has another song called Thousand Fold. And yes, Gunshot Glitter has his highest recorded note; although it is brief it is still technically astounding. What amazes me more about jeff is how comfortable he is in falsetto. Matt Bellamy is the only other singer I've heard that can do these falsetto vocal acrobatics