Degradation Trip review by Jerry Cantrell

• Released: Jun 18, 2002
Jerry Cantrell: Degradation Trip

An epic album from the former Alice In Chains guitar god. Fourteen perfect tracks. From the opening, haunting track "Psychotic Break" to the closing tear jerker "Gone" Cantrell keeps up the deepest, darkest hard-rock imaginable. A true complete album from the heavy-heavy metal song "Hellbound" to the metal ballad "Angel Eyes" to the grunge of "Bargain Basement Howard Hughes" to the acoustic sounds of "Solitude" to a punkish rocker "She Was My Girl" this album covers the spectrum of hard rock, keeping the darkness of Alice In Chains and still managing to be original. The musicmanship is awe-inspiring. Jerry Cantrell's impecable vocals and guitar playing, Mike Bordin on drums, and Robert Trujillo on bass, this is a true classic.

Jerry Cantrell is, along with Maynard James Keenan, the best songwriter living. Cantrell's lyrics are incredibly, inrospective and thought-provoking. Much like the mighty Alice In Chains, lyrics are what really make the album stand out as one of the best in a long while.

I love this album. It is perfect in every way. I originally feared that it would sound too much like AIC minus Layne, but my fears were put to rest. This record is incredibly and worth the price. Alice In Chains music has helped me through the roughest times in my life and it's nice to have Jerry continue his role as a healer in my life, as well as many others.