Degradation Trip review by Jerry Cantrell

• Released: Jun 18, 2002
Jerry Cantrell: Degradation Trip

The sound is great. For those who are Alice In Chains fans it will sound familar like music you would hear off and AIC CD, but at the same time it has new elements to it, a bit more uplifting. Jerry is a master at composing music, he blends lyrics with music so well. His music is really what seperates him from most modern artists today (well what would you expect from the man who brought us "Man In The Box, Rooster, and Would?). Cantrell has definatly not lost his touch at creating great music.

The lyrics are brillant. Along with Jerry's singing ability this catergory easily gets a 5. After all those years behind Layne's vocals, who would have thought that Jerry was such a great vocalist? At times, it almost feels as if Layne was there too singing alongside Jerry. Many songs aren't based upon happy feelings, but thats alright because he pulls of singing about pain beautifully, without it sounding whiny and annoying. A number of songs appear to be heavily Layne influenced. I don't want to go on forever here so I'll move on.

Great CD(s). Degradation Trip's volume 1 and 2 are great. Simply put they pretty much beat anything put out by other artists today. It probably isn't that well known because not many know who Jerry Cantrell is nowadays but if you don't have this CD, buy it as soon as you can. This is music as a whole, great music and lyrics molded togethor perfectly. Songs Bargain Basement Howard Hughes, and Gone are great songs. If it were lost, I would definatly go buy it again, in a heartbeat. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to listen to truly great music.