Degradation Trip review by Jerry Cantrell

• Released: Jun 18, 2002
Jerry Cantrell: Degradation Trip

Note: this review is for the double album. That said, Degradation Trip is an all out masterpiece! Jerry composed a wide range of beautiful songs from the soft acoustics Gone and Give it a name, to the heavy, grungy sounds of Psychotic Break and Pig Charmer, to the punk beat of She Was My Girl, to the haunting guitar work in Hurts Don't It. This album spans all of Jerry's talents, and it shows. Every song sounds extremely well produced, and it really gets you into the music. It sounds like Jerry recorded at least three guitar tracks on every song - two electric and one acoustic, and that really adds a nice touch.

The lyrics are every bit as emotional as the Alice lyrics of old. They're mostly pretty dark, ranging from substance abuse, old relationships, and other old, not so happy stories. Jerry is an excellent singer and blends the lyrics with the music quite nicely.

I believe this album should go down in history as one of those must-have's for any hard rock fan, especially Alice in Chains fans. And it's not enough to have the single album - to truly experience his work, you have to get both volumes, lest you miss out on Pig Charmer, Hurts Don't It, Thanks Anyway and several other amazing songs. I mostly love the range of styles of music and the complexity of the guitar riffs. I really hope he makes another album, but it sounds like Alice is reuniting.