Last Man Standing review by Jerry Lee Lewis

• Released: Sep 26, 2006
Jerry Lee Lewis: Last Man Standing

It took five years of work and 22 rock, country, R&B and pop's biggest superstars. The result was definitely worth it -- Last Man Standing -- a highly anticipated new studio album from the founder of rock 'n' roll Jerry Lee Lewis. The CD's 21 monumental classic Lewis songs, recorded in duets with musician like Rod Steward, B.B. King, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page. The CD got its title from the fact, that Jerry Lee Lewis is the last man standing out of rock's founding fathers after the other three members of Sun Record's Million Dollar Quartet (Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins) have died. The album is a fine collection of old-time rock-n-roll. You'll find here plenty of the songs your grandma used to dance to -- Sweet Little 16, I Saw Her Standing There, That Kind Of Fool just to name a few. There are plenty of bar ballads, those that you'll sing late hour after a number of drinks. As well as lots of loud rock 'n' roll songs. Amazingly these old songs still sound as rowdy and passionate as they did tens of years ago, even though the performers are far not young now. The songs' new interpretations are as different as the artists, featured in them. Some are more as dialogues, with the guest bringing some of his or her personality to the track. Others leave the starring role to Lewis, with their appearance being barely evident. Doesn't matter which way the song goes though, Lewis is always taking the leading part in the duet. To make things clear, Lewis introduces the musicians in the tracks.

Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Age can well make a soundtrack to your grandpa's birthday party. Not in every song two old dudes (in this case Lewis and George Jones) cheer each other up, singing Don't wish that you were a lad/Why, boy, you've lost more gals than they've ever had. Other songs are either cheerful or peaceful -- no whining or unhappy tunes. It might seem the older the musician becomes, the more energy he gets. I wish some of the new bands had the same optimistic attitude to life! As years go by nothing changes when it comes to Jerry Lee Lewis and his music. Not his piano skills, neither his vocal abilities. He still sings with the same passion as 50 years ago when his first big hit was out and yes he can still hit higher notes. Just that now he got that raspy notes in his voice that only add to the songs' rock 'n' roll flavor.

Last Man Standing is a treat for any Jerry Lee Lewis fan and a nice way to introduce the artist to the younger generation. Just the fact that Lewis managed to gather all these great people together on one album is a great achievement! From this CD you can learn about who's who in rock-n-roll. Even though old-school rock 'n' roll is not gonna make its comeback with this album, it's a good reminder of the past. The CD is like a party of old friends, jamming, talking, remembering old times and joking around. When you're 71 years of age and still rocking hard, being a living legend of rock 'n' roll, you don't necessarily need new songs or videos. You can endlessly release your greatest hits collections or record an album of classic hits in collaboration with the most important people in music. And no one will dare to mumble a word about no new material.

Wolfhound
    frothies
    article: It might seem the older the musician becomes, the more energy he gets. I wish some of the new bands had the same optimistic attitude to life!
    Lol! Whoah, a direct hit to those emocore bands nyahahaha.
    orangepick
    lighting stuff on fire in album covers stoppped being cool with "wish you were here" because nothing can beat a guy on fire just standing there ... i mean its so badass!
    Apollo_Design
    is it just me or does this album cover and Paul Gilbert's Burning Organ look very very similar?
    MissTuckaaa
    hey if u wanna marry your cousin...more power to ya! but really, back in the time when it first happened it was like the downfall of his career
    Deanslinger
    KeithAngus wrote: it p!ssEs me off that ppl call Elvis, Cash, Perlkins, Lewis the founders of Rock N Roll... Its complete BS.... theyre only called that cuz they were the first whites to introduce rock. Greats like Chuck Berry, BB King, Bo Diddly, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker should be called that... They started the whole movement. I dont have anything against whites... I am a white... but it just kills me that those 4 get credit for something they didnt do while those greats get nothing! I do think Cash, Perkins, Presley and Lee are great... but they should not diserve the title of "The Kings of Rock"
    those people do get credit, but they were more bluesy than elvis, cash, perlkins and lewis, who really created the sound that became known as "rock'n'roll". there's a difference
    KeithAngus
    SixStrings
    sorry that's suppossed to be "if HE could play the piano like jerry lee lewis"
    SixStrings
    Maiden2
    Maiden2 : hes cool. except the whole marrying the 13 yr old nah thats pretty cool are you married to ur cousin?
    itrytofixtabs
    Dattt wrote: Maiden2 : hes cool. except the whole marrying the 13 yr old nah thats pretty cool
    hahaha
    U-Mass
    ^ The man always HAS had balss of steel. Or, should I say, fire? Hahaha. I made a funny.
    hahaha
    Dattt
    Maiden2 : hes cool. except the whole marrying the 13 yr old
    nah thats pretty cool
    edwinabot
    Maybe you don't stand jerry but the man was one of the fpillar of rock and as minimum thing he deserves som respect from all the musicians around the planet
    rayIII
    Wolfhound wrote: Is he still going? That's one crazy guy. Rory Gallagher told a story of how Jerry tried to shoot John Lennon when Lennon and Gallagher came to his dressing room. He couldn't find his gun quick enough, it wasn't in his usual boot, and Lennon calmed him down before he found it. I hope he has mellowed with age.
    haha cool. I'm not too sure I've heard any of his own music (I've heard covers though) but considering some of the listed people appearing on the album I guess I'll have to check it out
    itrytofixtabs
    SixStrings wrote: itrytofixtabs : i know his cousin. hes a barber thats cool i know one of his cousins as well, he's a preacher, his name is Jimmy Swaggert, maybe you've heard of him? i read somewhere once that Elvis Presely once said publicly, that if you could play the piano like Jerry Lee Lewis, that he'd never sing another note again. a pretty honorable thing to say about someone, exspecially when it's Elvis saying it. i just really might have to check this album out.
    no I haven't heard of him