Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came Review

Jesu: Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came
Released: Sep 24, 2013
Genre: Post-Metal, Shoegaze, Post-Rock, Drone
Label: Avalanche Recordings
Justin Broadrick of Godflesh continues to create striking new compositions with his longtime side project Jesu.
 7.9
 8.7
 4,469
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came Featured review by: UG Team, on october 01, 2013

Sound: Industrial metal fans everywhere were shocked when in 2002, Godflesh announced that they were disbanding. Followers of the actual band members would find themselves consistently in the loop on their idolized musicians' new projects, and arguably none of the Godflesh members went on to work in more projects than guitarist and vocalist Justin Broadrick. Justin tried his hand at producing albums, collaborating with such groups as Pantera and ISIS. He also formed a handful of new record labels, including Avalanche and HeadDirt Records. Arguably most importantly in the eyes of the fans who passionately enjoyed Justin's earlier musical projects, Justin Broadrick continued to create new music with a variety of bands: one showed Broadrick making a live comeback performance as Final, another was the formation of a new project by the name of Jesu. Jesu's signature sound is comprised of many eccentric musical influences, many of which bear creative titles including shoegazing and drone doom. They are also composed of varying electronic influences, which may stem from Justin's earlier experimentations with electronic music in the '90s. However in the mind of Justin, he admits he does not hear all of these foreign influences, but instead considers this music to be well organized pop songs. Godflesh, of course, reemerged in 2010, and despite continuing to perform with Godflesh and working on more new projects Jesu remains active and regularly creates new music: which we once again see with the band's recently released fifth studio album. "Every Day I Get Closer to the Light I Came From" is Jesu's first new album since 2011's "Ascension," and shows that the members of Jesu are not in a position to go actively searching new frontiers to try their hand at. From at least the listener's standpoint, when you already have embraced a collection of bold new influences as your own, you shouldn't need to continue to do so. The creativity is already there, and is widely evident on such songs as the title track, which boast a commanding opening bass line which takes over the entire song for nearly a minute, before finally being met with complimentary guitar swoons and some progressive rock backtones. This song sets the stage for the rest of the new Jesu album: laidback, almost comforting music with eloquent instrumentation and the occasional buzz of electronica. Such songs as "Comforter" grab the listener's focus with crackling percussion performed against quiet synthesizer work. From a musical aspect the new Jesu album is filled with formidable compositions and faultless playing. // 7

Lyrics: If you came into this album looking to find a captivating vocal performance, you will be left instead easily focusing upon the album's actual music. As compared to many other groups out on the scene, Jesu has only enlisted the aid of a vocalist on just a handful of songs in their catalog, and none of those songs make an appearance on "Every Day I Get Closer to the Light I Came From." // 7

Overall Impression: Jesu provide a collection of songs that burst with relaxed yet sophisticated instrumentation with their fifth studio album. Although it probably would not be a direction fans of Justin Broadrick would expect solely based upon his work in Godflesh, those who have more of a connection with his catalog of music from outside that band should be more than happy with this new outing. // 7

- Lou Vickers (c) 2013