Get Born review by Jet

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Jet: Get Born

I believe that this is the best album to come out in a long while. The Austrailian band Jet has really beaten the heck out of other new bands. All thirteen songs have something unique about them. "Last Chance", the shortest song on the album has a great ACDC feel about it. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?", the first hit song off the album, reminded me very much of The Who in a few ways. "Rollover DJ", the album's third hit, is very original in many ways. But it also sounds like the Bachman Turner Overdrive during the bridge. Then there's "Look What You've Done", which is planned to be a fourth hit, is where the album shines. It takes Nic Cester's extreme fascination with Abbey Road to great use with his Lennon-style singing. The piano and great bass lines make it sound very much like the Beatles. I believe this is the album's best song. "Get What You Need" is great! The use matches the excellence of Ray Manzarek of The Doors. "Move On" is probably the second-best song on the album. It really reminds me of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd because of the magnificent acoustic strum. They also made wonderful use of the slide guitar. "Radio Song" makes great use of the piano and also has great guitar riffs. "Get Me Out Of Here" is a real party-rock song. A great title choice, it almost seems like it is screaming to get away from all the soft songs and into some real rock fury. That leads us to the next song, "Cold Hard Bitch", the album's second hit. This is an awesome song. Chris Cester really shows his drum talent in this one, he almost sounds exactly like Keith Moon from The Who. The whole song in general sounds like a Who song. The intro could work a little shorter, but who cares anyway? Then there's "Come Around Again". This song is a great soft-rocker in contrast to the previous song. "Come Around Again" is a very relaxing song. "Take It Or Leave It" is a two-minute rollercoaster of rock and roll fury. Nic Cester and Cameron Muncey put their incredible guitar talent to great use. "Lazy Gun", the album's longest song, is great despite the wild tempo changes. This song also has a great use of a slide guitar, though it sounds completely different then "Move On". The final song, "Timothy", is a slow song that makes great use of guitars and background effects. All in all, this album gets a 5 out of 5. Jet's style has influenced me in many ways.

Nic Cester does a great job of writing lyrics and he also has a wonderful voice. But I think that the best song, lyric wise, is "Timothy". This song was written by Cameron Muncey about his brother dying. Cameron, being five at the time of the death, didn't really know what was going on. He wrote it from that point of view. A real tear-jerker.

This album is awesome! If it were stolen, I'd buy another.