Shine On review by Jet

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Jet: Shine On

Jet are a band that follows the examples and sounds of many other bands such as Wings, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and AC/DC. This is certainly evident in this album but they also carry a very unique sound which distinguishes them from other bands. A lot of times in the album Jet use a folk style and so many of the songs feature acoustic guitars. But there are no lack of rock songs included so you will not be disappointed. I also like the effects that they use in the song Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is as it is a change from the usual style that Jet use.

The lyrics in this CD are of a very high standard I think but in some cases could be better, maybe by using more metophorical phrases in the songs rather than just coming out and saying what you mean. The standard of singing however has no flaws and I cannot complain about Nic's or the other band members vocals. However at times it can sound like they are screaming and this can become obnoxious to some.

Whooooah this is a good album and (I thought this would be impossible) it is even better than their previous album Get Born. If somebody were to steal this album from me I would definitely either hunt them down or buy a new one. Their are some great guitar sequences in the album and Shine On has definitely brought out the best in their lead singer, Nic Cester. I definitely reccomend this CD to anyone who enjoyed their first album. I had high excpectations of it which was why I bought it on the day it came out and I was certainly not disappointed. Even if you did not really like Jet before I think this CD will change your mind and get you foot tapping.

better_than_you
    justlaxin73
    there are so many other bands that release crap that sounds the same that whole pop-rock crap, it all sounds the same. howcan u not like the sound of rock from the 70's cmon ppl
    sherwin
    if you manage to keep your prejudices aside and listen to this album as an effort of a band having alot of diverse influences, then it's pretty evident , they ROCK. i simply adored the album. i thought it was a very well produced record.
    emkaybee
    There's an interesting review for this on Pitchfork.. it's a bit mean. Ok it's very mean. If you want a good Aussie band, try Arcane.
    pumpkins_rule
    the starchild wrote: kkrafty wrote: give them an f-ing break they worked hard on this album, it shows, and i find their music is very refreshing. who wants something different from a band that made them feel so good with their previous albums? i would have been deeply disappointed with anything that wasn't similar. isn't anybody ever satisfied? it might sound a lot a like, but it is also a lot better and anybody who knows anything about music can hear that. i'd pick jet to rock out to anyday over any band/artist on this week's top charts. or this year's top charts for that matter. so if you don't like it, go leave your ignorant comments somewhere else. i feel bad that you just don't know any better. amen brotha! everyone who leaves comments about these bands who are obviously talented are just jealous that they didnt get to the fame first! its no biggy let them leave comment after comment. they just make themselves look ever more ignorant then they already are!
    Maybe we just enjoy speding our time listening to more worthwhile bands who actually release a product that isn't a re-hash of something that's thirty years old. Maybe we're tired of the same bland garbage polluting the aiirwaves.
    the starchild
    kkrafty
    jayck
    dudes it's not because it old that it's boring ?! man Just like the f*ckin' Rock !
    Submerged
    ^ He has a point. While I don't think there's anything wrong with having obvious influences, Jet really bug me by pushing it way too far. It's not just influenced by, it's blatant theft. Jet will never, ever top the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, AC/DC, etc, so what's the point? If you're a fan of all the old rock and roll music, there are many 30 year old bands that are much better, have a deeper catalogue and were stunningly original in their time. I have a similar attitude towards Wolfmother, when I saw them live they weren't bad, I was just left standing there thinking "This isn't a new experience, this is old and boring." I'm not overly impressed when I can find a 30-40 year old record that is more creative and rocks harder in DIRECT COMPARISON to Jet. I'm going to go listen to Blue Oyster Cult, they rocked so hard and sound exciting even by todays standards.
    pumpkins_rule
    If you think this is even close to the best music coming out today, I advise you to become a little more open-minded because two amazing albums were released just this week. In case you're wondering what they are... The Decemberists - The Crane Wife The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America Pwned.
    SkinnyWhiteBoy
    I hate how uch they've stolen songs form people. I guess people don't take pride in original bands like Bloc PArty, or real Rock 'n Roll bands like The Strokes.
    RS-GUITARIST
    ^ please man save you realness-icity labels for an actual rock band. Jet is on of the only bands nowadays that brings back that "aaahh" fealing from the 70's.
    justlaxin73
    just listen don't think, then see if u like jet's music. that's what good old rock 'n' roll is all about
    guitargenius013
    The point is, Jet did an amazing job on this album and definitely better than any of us could have. So what, their music resembles other's peoples music. It's GOOD. Peace, love, and hair grease.
    Alibi:Destroyed
    I do agree that jet is pretty unoriginal but there's nothing left to do with this genre. The point is that Jet rocks because their music is simple and to the point, you don't have to think to get it. What else could you want? Who cares if they're unoriginal, the only thing that matters is that you like the music, so just sit back and listen. Rock on.
    the starchild
    better_than_you wrote: Jet is unoriginal? Someone needs to keep that classic sound going. Of course, you can say almost ANY band is unoriginal, but go ahead and follow the trend.
    i completely agree with you man. someone must carry on MUSIC. half the crap that comes out today should never even be considered music. and about the whole unoriginal thing...do you know how hard it is to come up with something that is original? everything has been done! its all repeats just different lyrics and some people play different rhythms.
    Tapir-man wrote: What is is with Aussie bands like Jet and Wolfmother apeing old bands. It's like they just heard Led Zep, or Ac/Dc down under and now the cover bands are arriving. Point is, Jet's unoriginal.
    and for you...your just jealous they can so called "cover" a band better then you. get over it.
    8butler9
    Ace, Pink FLoyd are my fav band. DSOTM rocks. R.I.P Syd Barrett (shine on) You Crazy Diamond
    Tapir-man
    sardonicgoat
    i might check out the album, although i am a little weary of bands that are forced down my throat like jet was when Get Born was released. Oh and The Darkness is not a garage band by any stretch of the imagination, more like an 80's arena rock band.
    [NIN]_ROCK!
    Pretty kickass album. The song "Shine On" is my fav, but all the rest is just as good. Every hater of Jet should give a try to this album, it's darker and deeper, but definitely their best.
    Dyuha
    tommyg_99 wrote: just letting the UG team know, it's actually Cam Muncey singing on Hey Kids, and the lyrics are "Hey, old man", not "Hailed man".
    fixed!
    tommyg_99
    havana_Affair19
    SkinnyWhiteBoy wrote: . I guess people don't take pride in original bands like Bloc PArty, or real Rock 'n Roll bands like The Strokes.
    i like jet but your right strokes are amzaning and no one likes them. they kick any bands ass