Shine On review by Jet

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Jet: Shine On

There's definitely a beatles sound to it, but it sounds a lot harder, even on the ballads. Shine on's more balanced then get born was, where get born was either in your face kickass rock or a ballad, shine on has both and a lot of in between, you can especially hear it that middle sound in songs like skin and bones and all you have to do. I wouldn't say they're moving away from a garage band sound, but they're going to other places with some of their songs so while songs like put your money where your mouth is or rip it up, are just straight up jamming, songs like bring it on back, the best song on the cd, are more thought out and sound more like a stadium band. So the entire cds a little more varied which is nice because none of the songs sound the same and that was kind of a problem with get born.

A lot of people complain about how basic some of their lyrics are, but that just doesnt't make sense because honestly, when your jamming you'd rather listen to how hot that chick is then about how wrong something is in the world. Plus their ballads have really deep lyrics to them like in shine on and bring it on back.

Shine On is one of the top 5 albums of the year without question. The only problem with it is how long it took for them to get it released. Every song on it is worth listening to, and I love how you can just pop it in and listen to the whole thing without having to skip around. It's got a kickass sound that anyone can like. There isnt anything I don't like about this album and I'm really looking forward to their next album.

scarfacesuit
    i really liked this album... i mean, i could definitely hear the beatles in there, but jet kind of blends other elements of their own into it. i dunno... the music and lyrics just appeal to me for some reason. i admit it's unoriginal, but AC/DC hasn't been too original with their songs (generally all about girls, hell, and electric currents in some form), but Angus and Bon (Brian now) made that music shine.
    scarfacesuit
    rock_and_blues wrote: to all the people saying "oh there just a rehash of the stones or the beatles, why listen to them when you could listen to the originals" well, uh geuss what dipshits when the stones and beatles started out they were just rehashs of chuck berry, the everly brothers, elvis presly, pretty much every 50s rock act. But geuss what with time they EVOLVED. give Jet some time, this is only there 2nd major label release, and obviously there still working on getting a sound that is uniquely theres, its very hard as a young artist to not sound like your influences. Case in point listen to the BBC sessions of the Beatles, any of their early work etc. Same with the Stones. Essentially they were just singing Chuck Berry with a British accent. Give Jet some time, once they really discover who they are as a band I'm sure they'll develop a more individual style. BTW whats wrong with sounding like the Beatles or the Stones? if your gonna sound like someone, why not sound like the best
    amen bro!
    chickenfire315
    Yeah im listening to the cd right now, and all i can think of is the beatles... :/ I wish they would have been more in your face, its a good cd but they do songs like Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is way better than these ballads!
    theking182
    I agree with you there man. My favorite song on the album was Stand Up, but they should have stopped after about two-and-a-half minutes. They should have had the majority of the album to be more like PYMWYMI or Stand Up. That would have made it a whole lot awesomer.
    ihatethisgame
    I just have to say that i'm glad there is at least one band around thats trying to carry on the classics, becuase the only good bands that are out today are the old bands that still make albums.