Shine On review by Jet

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Jet: Shine On

Just when good rock music had appeared to have fell off the map, along came Jet in 2003. Get Born has sold over 4 million copies to date, and is an album I doubt Jet will ever top. From Mark Wilson's catchy bass runs, to Chris's incredible drumming talent, to his brother Nic's intense howl on songs like, Cold Hard Bitch, and Take It Or Leave It, the album kicked ass. Especially for any fan of AC/DC, The Kinks, The Who, or The Rolling Stones, this album bore a similar sound. And now in 2006 loyal Jet fans from all over the globe rushed out to buy Shine On, the bands second album. And many, including myself, found it a bit dissapointing. Shine On is a tribute to Nic, and Chris's late father who died of cancer. And the songs on the album like Shine On, Bring It On Back, King Horses, and Shiny Magazine, just seem to lack that 60's and 70's rock inspired sound Jet had created. We saw a similar sound to The Beatles, and Oasis on the album, but that hard in your face kickass rock n roll was almost absent on the album. Sure we did see a few songs on the album like, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Rip It Up, and Stand Up, which contained that same formula Jet used to write songs from Get Born. But it just wasn't enough.

The lyrics on Shine On, are definitely a bit more heartfelt, and meaningful than Get Born's lyrics did. But in the history of rock music, emphasis has never been put on a songs lyrics, but more on loud sheering guitar riffs, and in your face drumming. When you bought an AC/DC album, you didn't buy it to listen to Brian Johnson's lyrics, maybe for his voice, near capable of peeling paint, but not for his lyrics. That is part of the reason why myself, and other Jet fans were disapointed with Shine On. It seemed like they were focusing too much on the lyrics than the actual music. But if you want to focus on Shine On's lyrics they did have meaning. For example the song Shine On was a tribute to Nic and Chris's late father, and the song Rip It Up was inspired by Paris Hilton. On Get Born the band seemed to just throw in words to match the music. Jet really did put more meaning and thought into lyrics on the new album.

Overall, Shine On was still a good album. I listen to it a lot and still like the sound Jet had. It's just when compared to Get Born, I think it is really no contest. I loved how on Get Born you could listen to the entire album without changing tracks. Songs like Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, and Rip It Up still give us something to hold onto. We know Jet still has that in your face sound, we just need to hear more of it on the next album. If someone broke into my home and stole Shine On, I would definitely go buy another copy. I can't wait for the third album.

OzarkMDaredevil
    Rock_and_Blues, thank you, what IS wrong with sounding like the best? JET is NOT unoriginal, you guys can't go onto a album review and blurt out random statements. JET is badass, period. Shine On is amazing. It has such a wide variety of sounds. Man, the guitarist for JET makes a flyin' V look awesome!
    Dragon Master
    Jet is amazing. Though their musical prowess is not as capable for revolution, as Nirvana's was, it does show what rock has lost and what rock has regained, if you roll the stone away. If you look past mainstream garbage, alternative bands are really good. Jet isn't Buckcherry, to say the least. At least Jet is sincere, wouldn't sell out, or, make a stupid song like "Sorry." They are also much safer. (Hey, they don't recommend cutting wrists, right?)
    Infamou$17
    This is the sh*ttiest band ever... the only two reviews on Pitchfork I ever actually agreed with. Especially for this album, with the video clip of the monkey p*ssing in its mouth. I'd rather p*ss in my mouth like a monkey than listen to this sorry excuse for the sorry excuse that is the mainstream garage-rock revival again
    Infamou$17
    Dragon Master wrote: Jet is sincere, wouldn't sell out, or, make a stupid song like "Sorry."
    Lmfao...you gotta be f*cking kidding me
    the_rebirth1
    You people need to lighten up and chill out. You're listening to the album and the band and not making any attempts to connect or actually listening to this at all. I'm not at all saying this is a record for the books or that this band is amazing. I do love this band but that's besides the point. It takes a lot of guts to make records like these in this generation because of everyone like you hate this music just because it sounds old. So case in fact that you people actually don't know what actual music is. I'm guessing you all grew up in the boy band era or the 80's hair metal era which was total crap or the headache that is grunge. These guys are keeping alive the very thought of true rock and roll and they're not looking to be the best band in the world or by any means top Zeppelin or the Beatles by any means but paying tribute and just straight playing music that they love. Don't get me wrong I highly enjoy the indie/alternative/rock bands of today in fact a couple of my favorites are the Shins and the Strokes because they are good bands, but just because this band isn't your style or you don't appreciate how much work the band put into this album (the vocalist and drummer's dad died and this was a tribute to him more than it was a tribute to old rock) and take it all for granted. These guys are GOOD musicians and talented in their own right. I'm not telling anybody to love this album but to possibly actually listen to it for once and put aside your doubts and differences because it is a GOOD album. If you can't do that then I guess your all just jealous because you are failed musicians.