Shine On review by Jet

• Released: Oct 3, 2006
Jet: Shine On

The music on this album really caught me. It's more put together than their first album Get Born with the same classic 70's rock feel but they venture and try new things. They still remain to stick to the sounds of AC/DC, Zeppelin, and Beatles era but that doesn't go against the band. If they had tried anything else their entire fanbase would of been ripped apart. They stuck to what they enjoy and what is comfortable and continue to make music that they enjoy. Overall the sound was very good. The outstanding songs on here I think would be Shine On, Rip It Up, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Stand Up, and Eleanor.

The first thing I noticed on this album was how Nic Cester and the rest of the band (Chris Cester, Cameron Muncey, and Mark Wilson) can actually sing. In the previous album Get Born we heard the same old AC/DC and Rolling Stones type of singing style, and in this album the band embarks on harmonious endeavors (L'esprit D'escalier) that sound remarkably Beatles-esque and Nic engages in some pretty impressive falsettos (Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is). The lyrics though, I loved. The whole feel of the album is a very uplifting one due to the fact that Nic and Chris Cester's father passed away, which they wrote a song in dedication to that (Shine On). The rest of the album is catchy and has a lot of lyrical hooks.

My overall impression of this album is good. I thought it was a step up from Get Born and more mature as well as being gutsy. It takes a lot for a band to keep the feel of the 60's and 70's era going on in a time where pop-punk, radio rock, and alternative/indie are the main favorites of the kids today. The album gave me a good feeling throughout and at times gave off a wonderful creepy feel on how much they actually sound like the Beatles on a couple of songs. I would definitely recommend this to anybody if they are looking for fun rock music that will get you to jam along. A great for any Jet or classic rock fan and if you enjoyed Get Born you will definitely enjoy this.