Shine On Review

Jet: Shine On
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Elektra Records
Genres: Rock, Garage Rock
Shine On is definitely not the most original record, but it might just spark younger listeners? interest in some of the classic bands that probably influenced Jet in the making of the record.
 Lyrics: 8.2
 8.2
 8.6
 7.7
Shine On Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 03, 2006

Sound: Jet is finding its inner Beatle. On the band's latest record Shine On, there are multiple tracks that feel like they could be straight off any of the Fab Four's records. Interestingly enough, the moments where The Beatles' influence pops up is when the CD is at its most interesting. The band has done plenty of work that resembles The Rolling Stones and blue-rock bands like them, so this latest venture is an interesting choice. When you hear the very brief intro L'esprit D'escalier, you'll swear that you could be hearing John, Paul, George, and Ringo. The harmonies are straight from a song like Nowhere Man, and it's definitely obvious that the band used it as a sort of homage. It gives the album a truly classic feel, and Jet was wise to start things off with a familiar, yet lasting note. Of course, the first single that the band put out sounds very much like hits like Cold Hard Bitch, and that's probably a wise decision in appealing to it's fan base. Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is combines Jet (vocalist/guitarist Nic Cester, drummer Chris Cester, bassist Mark Wilson, and guitarist Cameron Muncey) trademarks like bluesy riffs and bare-bones rock with the new addition of vocalist Nic Cester's falsetto touch. Given that most of the band's hits have focused primarily on one particular vocal style with multiple oh yeahs, hearing Cester try a little something different is both refreshing and more memorable. Shine On has an assortment of ballads, and while they are a pleasing bunch, all of them don't necessarily take your breath away. The title track Shine On features a choir in the background much like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, and it does seem like the band was going for an epic-sounding song. Unfortunately, Jet's choir does not really add much to the track and probably was not needed at all. While the piano in the track adds a nice contrast to the usual guitar-based songs Jet writes, Shine On never leaves a huge impression. The band does seem to once again be inspired by The Beatles in the track Shiny Magazine. Cester sounds eerily similar to John Lennon in this one, and he pulls it off extremely well. If you enjoy the Beatles, you're likely to listen to Shiny Magazine with a tinge of nostalgia. Even the guitar solo uses the style of George Harrison in its phrasing and effects. The ballad stands out leaps and bounds from the other ballads, and a little inspiration from The Beatles is never a bad thing. While the CD has a number of well-done tracks, there are a few -- both in the ballads and the rock tunes -- that just don't have many distinguishable qualities. As a rock band, Jet does still offer plenty of fun songs, however, and for that reason Shine On will likely please the band's regular fan base. // 9

Lyrics: Jet's lyrics are much like its music, with a straightforward approach that doesn't necessarily throw anything unexpected at you. If the band were to write lyrics that probed the deepest secrets of the universe, it just wouldn't fit. So songs about hot ladies and playing rock and roll fit the band kind of like a glove. Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is has exactly that blatant sexuality that has made Jet fun and keeps the rock and roll tradition alive. Cester sings, She's a loaded gun; In my shaking hands; Am I in hell or the promised land, yeah. While it does resemble Cold Hard Bitch, the formula does seem appropriate for your run-of-the-mill rock tune. In Hey Kids, the band injects a little bit of the past and the present in the lyrics. Guitarist Cam Muncey sings, Hey, old man, remember Vietnam; You hated Vietnam, but you dig Afghanistan. By going beyond the girl-hunting lyrics and writing lines that are pertinent to today's culture shows plenty of growth by the band. The band's songs don't necessarily go much beyond what listeners heard on its debut Get Born, but the music is really the selling point anyhow. // 8

Overall Impression: Jet is doing what it does best: making good, old-fashioned rock and roll. The fact that the band is not swayed by the latest sounds is respectable, even when it does not always write songs that stand out from the bunch. While Shine On does have some excellent rock tracks, with the first single leading the pack, it may not be enough for someone looking for something a little different from the last CD. What is most notable about the latest CD is the heavy influence of The Beatles. This could either really connect with listeners or leave them a bit too annoyed by the lack of originality. The band does recreate some of the classic Beatles' sounds very effectively, and it's fascinating to hear the band go from a more Stones-based tune to a Beatles-ish ballad. Shine On is definitely not the most original record, but it might just spark younger listeners' interest in some of the classic bands that probably influenced Jet in the making of the record. // 8

Shine On Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 03, 2006

Sound: Jet are a band that follows the examples and sounds of many other bands such as Wings, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and AC/DC. This is certainly evident in this album but they also carry a very unique sound which distinguishes them from other bands. A lot of times in the album Jet use a folk style and so many of the songs feature acoustic guitars. But there are no lack of rock songs included so you will not be disappointed. I also like the effects that they use in the song Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is as it is a change from the usual style that Jet use. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this CD are of a very high standard I think but in some cases could be better, maybe by using more metophorical phrases in the songs rather than just coming out and saying what you mean. The standard of singing however has no flaws and I cannot complain about Nic's or the other band members vocals. However at times it can sound like they are screaming and this can become obnoxious to some. // 8

Overall Impression: Whooooah this is a good album and (I thought this would be impossible) it is even better than their previous album Get Born. If somebody were to steal this album from me I would definitely either hunt them down or buy a new one. Their are some great guitar sequences in the album and Shine On has definitely brought out the best in their lead singer, Nic Cester. I definitely reccomend this CD to anyone who enjoyed their first album. I had high excpectations of it which was why I bought it on the day it came out and I was certainly not disappointed. Even if you did not really like Jet before I think this CD will change your mind and get you foot tapping. // 10

Shine On Reviewed by: JackWhite1988, on october 03, 2006

Sound: Jet's debut album released almost exactly three years ago was received with a fair amount of fanfare. By 2003, the traditional garage rock stylings had started in full force. Bands such as The Darkness, Silvertide, Kings Of Leon, Jet and most recently Wolfmother have hollowed out their own section in the modern music branch with this brand of garage rock. Jet has since become a parody of themselves or often times the musicians they mimmick. Critics site the bands "borrowing" of Iggy Pop's drum beat and AC/DC's guitar phrasing as one of the main reasons that will seperate the audience of this particular band. The sound is very similar between all of these bands. They go for the dirty Marshall amplifier, Gibson guitars and a '70s throwback of a vocalist. To people who enjoy that era of music come through their 2006 speakers as fresh material, the sound of this album will make you drool. // 9

Lyrics: "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" is a song that could've been used on Get Born. There are a couple standout tracks but most of them in the lyrical department fall short. "Stand Up" is an example of trying too hard. This album unlike Get Born has a more intimate side with ballads which show the band has gone in another creative direction. I wouldn't go as far as to call it "musical growth" by any means but it's a side of Jet we didn't see enough of on their debut album. "Kings Horses" and "Eleanor" do show a glimpse of what Jet sounds like when they drop the masculine facade for a moment to come through on a sensitive level. There is a moment during "Hey Kids" where you find yourself wanting to like the song because of its catchy-ness but can't because of the Vietnam reference. Leave that to Neil Young guys. Although the strength of the album lyrically comes from the ballads, they do sound to be very Oasis-esque. // 7

Overall Impression: As a reviewer you must approach this genre of music with a ambiguous sense of objectivity. It is what it is. The sophomore album of any band is the measuring stick of their talent and in many cases displays a bands ability to stick around or fade away. Although the strength of the album lyrically comes from the ballads, they do sound to be very Oasis-esque. One thing you do notice on the album is that the band did a convincing job of being sincere and the dedication they had to completing this album does show. As far as the sophomore album curse goes, the band avoids the myth and the positives of the album out-weigh the negatives. The negatives are there and they could've been a concern but if the band stays on track with the sophisticated approach to their craft, it may pay off more than the arena rock sound they became famous for. // 8

Shine On Reviewed by: havana_Affair19, on october 09, 2006

Sound: I'm 1st impression was that this album is a sign of hope. The reason I it got was I heard it was like the '70s. Jet and Strokes are the only new bands worth listening to. The style is like The Beatles and some good Hard Rock songs. Not really any innovations. It's just a 16 year old's relief from all the shitty emo and gay rap groups. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are about love, lost, hope, and rocking. The only lyrics that really stuck out was when he talks about some putting a dead fish in his hand. The songs are put togther better in this album than "Get Born". I don't want to skip over any tracks like I do "Get Born". The singer has improved a lot and shows of a lot range. He is no Brain Johnson or Robert Plant though. // 8

Overall Impression: This is Much better than "Get Born". "Put your money where your mouth is", "That's All Lies", Bring It On Back", "Stand Up", "Come On Come On", and "Rip It Up" are all great. Good lyrics and good guitar work. What I like about this ablum is how it's not like anything on the radio. It's new but sounds old. Plus there is some cool solos on this. I wish the ablum rocked hard thought. There are a lot of ballads. The one that's rocks though rock hard. Really fast power chords mix with some pull offs and hammers. If it was stolen I would cut class to go get it. // 8

Shine On Reviewed by: justlaxin73, on october 09, 2006

Sound: The sound is that of the bands of the '70s. Jet has the classic rock feel which is great. With this CD they went from more of a garage band on Get Born to more modeling after a band like The Beatles. They still have garage rock type songs like "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" but they also have ballads like "Shine On". The sound is true good old rock 'n' roll. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Shine on go back and forth. With some of the softer and more sophisticated songs the lyrics are great and really leave a lasting impression. Some of the lyrics are catchy and quick with not that much thought behind them. That doesn't make those songs worse, each song just differentiates. The lyrics are generally good on this CD. // 8

Overall Impression: It definetly compares to the Beatles, Stones or other bands of that time. Jet listened to a lot of the Beatles while creating this cd. Overall the songs are great, some catchy like "Bring It On Back" while some have a lasting effect like "Kings Horses". I love the cd, I really have no complaints. With their third album we're going to have to see if they go toward a garage band overall, or take the path of more ballads. We'll see. Yes it resembles classic bands, but it the songs give it a different feel. If you really listen to this music for real it's an amazing album and in the top five this year. // 9

Shine On Reviewed by: Crimsonashes, on november 30, 2006

Sound: The sound on the album Shine On is reminiscent of the beatles. Songs like Eleanor and Kings Horses, display this. While songs like Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, display the characteristic tone and sound that is Jet. Don't expect a heavy riff laden song like Cold Hard Bitch though, the hardest songs here are Holiday, Put Your Money and Hey Kids. The Sound however is stunning. The Blend between a sound not unlike the beatles, and Jet themselves is quite good. There are more piano and strings here as well. // 9

Lyrics: Jet lyrics always surprise me and in a good way. The lyrics are deep, and for anyone who enjoys the sound of Jet, match the music. Beware however if you assume Jet is like any other alt. band. They are not. The lead singer can reach those high notes, and it's evident in the song Holiday. Even Kings Horses, which is played higher on the guitar, is an example of this. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally enjoy this album. I think it's a bit more mature than Get Born. there's more maturity in song and music. The album is a different approach to music. The beatles sound is not copied however, it is customized. I enjoy Kings Horses, Hey Kids, Holiday, Shiny Magazine, and Come On Come On. // 9

Shine On Reviewed by: amhswildcats, on march 23, 2007

Sound: There's definitely a beatles sound to it, but it sounds a lot harder, even on the ballads. Shine on's more balanced then get born was, where get born was either in your face kickass rock or a ballad, shine on has both and a lot of in between, you can especially hear it that middle sound in songs like skin and bones and all you have to do. I wouldn't say they're moving away from a garage band sound, but they're going to other places with some of their songs so while songs like put your money where your mouth is or rip it up, are just straight up jamming, songs like bring it on back, the best song on the cd, are more thought out and sound more like a stadium band. So the entire cds a little more varied which is nice because none of the songs sound the same and that was kind of a problem with get born. // 9

Lyrics: A lot of people complain about how basic some of their lyrics are, but that just doesnt't make sense because honestly, when your jamming you'd rather listen to how hot that chick is then about how wrong something is in the world. Plus their ballads have really deep lyrics to them like in shine on and bring it on back. // 8

Overall Impression: Shine On is one of the top 5 albums of the year without question. The only problem with it is how long it took for them to get it released. Every song on it is worth listening to, and I love how you can just pop it in and listen to the whole thing without having to skip around. It's got a kickass sound that anyone can like. There isnt anything I don't like about this album and I'm really looking forward to their next album. // 10

Shine On Reviewed by: killerfinch, on july 13, 2007

Sound: Just when good rock music had appeared to have fell off the map, along came Jet in 2003. Get Born has sold over 4 million copies to date, and is an album I doubt Jet will ever top. From Mark Wilson's catchy bass runs, to Chris's incredible drumming talent, to his brother Nic's intense howl on songs like, Cold Hard Bitch, and Take It Or Leave It, the album kicked ass. Especially for any fan of AC/DC, The Kinks, The Who, or The Rolling Stones, this album bore a similar sound. And now in 2006 loyal Jet fans from all over the globe rushed out to buy Shine On, the bands second album. And many, including myself, found it a bit dissapointing. Shine On is a tribute to Nic, and Chris's late father who died of cancer. And the songs on the album like Shine On, Bring It On Back, King Horses, and Shiny Magazine, just seem to lack that 60's and 70's rock inspired sound Jet had created. We saw a similar sound to The Beatles, and Oasis on the album, but that hard in your face kickass rock n roll was almost absent on the album. Sure we did see a few songs on the album like, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Rip It Up, and Stand Up, which contained that same formula Jet used to write songs from Get Born. But it just wasn't enough. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on Shine On, are definitely a bit more heartfelt, and meaningful than Get Born's lyrics did. But in the history of rock music, emphasis has never been put on a songs lyrics, but more on loud sheering guitar riffs, and in your face drumming. When you bought an AC/DC album, you didn't buy it to listen to Brian Johnson's lyrics, maybe for his voice, near capable of peeling paint, but not for his lyrics. That is part of the reason why myself, and other Jet fans were disapointed with Shine On. It seemed like they were focusing too much on the lyrics than the actual music. But if you want to focus on Shine On's lyrics they did have meaning. For example the song Shine On was a tribute to Nic and Chris's late father, and the song Rip It Up was inspired by Paris Hilton. On Get Born the band seemed to just throw in words to match the music. Jet really did put more meaning and thought into lyrics on the new album. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Shine On was still a good album. I listen to it a lot and still like the sound Jet had. It's just when compared to Get Born, I think it is really no contest. I loved how on Get Born you could listen to the entire album without changing tracks. Songs like Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, and Rip It Up still give us something to hold onto. We know Jet still has that in your face sound, we just need to hear more of it on the next album. If someone broke into my home and stole Shine On, I would definitely go buy another copy. I can't wait for the third album. // 8

Shine On Reviewed by: the_rebirth1, on september 01, 2009

Sound: The music on this album really caught me. It's more put together than their first album Get Born with the same classic 70's rock feel but they venture and try new things. They still remain to stick to the sounds of AC/DC, Zeppelin, and Beatles era but that doesn't go against the band. If they had tried anything else their entire fanbase would of been ripped apart. They stuck to what they enjoy and what is comfortable and continue to make music that they enjoy. Overall the sound was very good. The outstanding songs on here I think would be Shine On, Rip It Up, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Stand Up, and Eleanor. // 8

Lyrics: The first thing I noticed on this album was how Nic Cester and the rest of the band (Chris Cester, Cameron Muncey, and Mark Wilson) can actually sing. In the previous album Get Born we heard the same old AC/DC and Rolling Stones type of singing style, and in this album the band embarks on harmonious endeavors (L'esprit D'escalier) that sound remarkably Beatles-esque and Nic engages in some pretty impressive falsettos (Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is). The lyrics though, I loved. The whole feel of the album is a very uplifting one due to the fact that Nic and Chris Cester's father passed away, which they wrote a song in dedication to that (Shine On). The rest of the album is catchy and has a lot of lyrical hooks. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is good. I thought it was a step up from Get Born and more mature as well as being gutsy. It takes a lot for a band to keep the feel of the 60's and 70's era going on in a time where pop-punk, radio rock, and alternative/indie are the main favorites of the kids today. The album gave me a good feeling throughout and at times gave off a wonderful creepy feel on how much they actually sound like the Beatles on a couple of songs. I would definitely recommend this to anybody if they are looking for fun rock music that will get you to jam along. A great for any Jet or classic rock fan and if you enjoyed Get Born you will definitely enjoy this. // 10

Comments