Aqualung review by Jethro Tull

• Released: Jan 1, 1971
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

The sound is very unique. Ian Smith (Vocals, Acoustic Guitars, Flute) was way ahead of his time. This 1971 album combines elements of Hard Rock (obvious in Aqualung), folk (the flute is an active instrument in Jethro Tull. Check out Mother Goose and other songs to see what I mean), blues (alot of the solos have some spicy blues licks in them) and progressive rock. Once again, Jethro Tull were way ahead of their time, creating a sound that is all their own.

The lyrics, all but 1 (which he co-wrote) songs were penned by Ian Smith. The man is genious. The whole lyrical concept of this album is basically anti-religion, but pro-God, and how we should all make our own descisions and not become toys of the Church. A very political album. I bring the lyrics down by one because by now, 2004, the same topic has been tackled a bunch of times, and since I was not alive in 71' - it doesn't have the same effect it would have. But I know Smith was way ahead of his time, and was one of the first to tackle this subject. And well-done, I might add.

This is a very innovating album, filled with Hard Rock, Folk and Prog Rock influences all around. If you consider yourself a true classic rock fan, you must own this album. Or if you have any self-respect for your musical taste at all, buy this album. It is a masterpiece.