Aqualung review by Jethro Tull

• Released: Jan 1, 1971
Jethro Tull: Aqualung

This is an album made by Brummies. This album and a Led Zeppelin album released at the same time were the first to use Richard Branson's newly built recording studio's. The band were very different kind of rock band and had a classical flutist as the lead singer which, I think you will agree is quite different. In my opinion this album is very easy listening and the acoustic work, although extremly simple, sounds really good. The album is named after a homless person, known only as Aqalung. He lived in Birmingham around the Balsall Heath/Small Heath area and could be seen around from time time. Don't bother trying to look for him though, as that was a long time ago, the area has changed a hell of a lot and you will get mugged in an instant.

the lyrics are very anti-religous and the album booklet has Jethro Tull's own version of the Lord's prayer which, is quite entertaining to say the least. The singer, in my opinion, is something special. When he is not doing flute solo's, his ability to change notes and stay in tune is quite impressive and, gives the band there individuality.

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. It is also a required taste though, and won't suite heavy rock fans unless there a bit strange like me. The contrast of songs is amazing and each track is very different than the last. this album will stick in your head for weeks. This is a must hear album, even if your not into old 'rock' give this album a go as you might be suprised.

artistpromo
    I was a huge Tull fan and loved "Benefit", So there we were first row at the Fillmore East May 5, 1971 ( before it was cinco de Mayo). Ian stepped up and announced "Tonight we do something new". We cursed and then Aqualung began... air guitar on the subway ride home... Do check out Bouree' and Back to the Family on Benefit as well.
    JimPrenier_11
    Dude it's Ian Anderson not smith. Anyway this is a great album from Tull, but there are many other great albums from Tull out there.
    bassetrox
    artistpromo wrote: Do check out Bouree' and Back to the Family on Benefit as well.
    They are on "stand up" not "benefit" , but agreed both albums stand well alongside aqualung. For my vote I'd say thick as a brick was their pinnacle of awesomeness and inventiveness, and later Anderson started sounding like mark knopfler, and making what id call patchy albums. They still do an excellent live show though. And the christmas album is an interesting one for continuation of anderson's religious views.
    artistpromo wrote: air guitar on the subway ride home
    Long as you put in some air flute as well.
    Jonny Tester
    I think u will find its Ian Anderson and not Ian Smith. And only one member of Jethro Tull at the time who was a brummie was Martin Barre the Guitarist, the band actually oringinated in blackpool which as u know is know where near Birmingham!! Also Aqualung was not from Birmingham either, he was from Hampstead in London which is evident in Mother Goose.
    sonic_mat
    lol Ian Smith, and he's writing the review, lol no wonder he wrote the lyrics as 8, try 10 next ime
    mckenna64
    I recommend the recent 40th anniversary version of this album, it's a remix done by Steve Wilson of Porcupine tree (also mixed Opeths Heritage album) and it sounds awesome. I tend to not like remixes or even remasters as they usually do a crappy job, but this one is top. Aqualung, Stand Up, Thick as a Brick are definitely the starting points if you want to check out Jethro Tull.