Aqualung Review

Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Released: April 1971
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Album Rock
This was the album that made Jethro Tull a fixture on FM radio.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.3
Aqualung Reviewed by: TaterSalad101, on may 25, 2004

Sound: The sound is very unique. Ian Smith (Vocals, Acoustic Guitars, Flute) was way ahead of his time. This 1971 album combines elements of Hard Rock (obvious in Aqualung), folk (the flute is an active instrument in Jethro Tull. Check out Mother Goose and other songs to see what I mean), blues (alot of the solos have some spicy blues licks in them) and progressive rock. Once again, Jethro Tull were way ahead of their time, creating a sound that is all their own. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, all but 1 (which he co-wrote) songs were penned by Ian Smith. The man is genious. The whole lyrical concept of this album is basically anti-religion, but pro-God, and how we should all make our own descisions and not become toys of the Church. A very political album. I bring the lyrics down by one because by now, 2004, the same topic has been tackled a bunch of times, and since I was not alive in 71' - it doesn't have the same effect it would have. But I know Smith was way ahead of his time, and was one of the first to tackle this subject. And well-done, I might add. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very innovating album, filled with Hard Rock, Folk and Prog Rock influences all around. If you consider yourself a true classic rock fan, you must own this album. Or if you have any self-respect for your musical taste at all, buy this album. It is a masterpiece. // 10

Aqualung Reviewed by: ahmyfingers, on december 03, 2005

Sound: This is an album made by Brummies. This album and a Led Zeppelin album released at the same time were the first to use Richard Branson's newly built recording studio's. The band were very different kind of rock band and had a classical flutist as the lead singer which, I think you will agree is quite different. In my opinion this album is very easy listening and the acoustic work, although extremly simple, sounds really good. The album is named after a homless person, known only as Aqalung. He lived in Birmingham around the Balsall Heath/Small Heath area and could be seen around from time time. Don't bother trying to look for him though, as that was a long time ago, the area has changed a hell of a lot and you will get mugged in an instant. // 10

Lyrics: the lyrics are very anti-religous and the album booklet has Jethro Tull's own version of the Lord's prayer which, is quite entertaining to say the least. The singer, in my opinion, is something special. When he is not doing flute solo's, his ability to change notes and stay in tune is quite impressive and, gives the band there individuality. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite albums of all time. It is also a required taste though, and won't suite heavy rock fans unless there a bit strange like me. The contrast of songs is amazing and each track is very different than the last. this album will stick in your head for weeks. This is a must hear album, even if your not into old 'rock' give this album a go as you might be suprised. // 10

Comments