Pieces Of You Review

Jewel: Pieces Of You
Released: Feb 28, 1995
Genre: Adult Contemporary, Pop-rock, Folk
Label: Atlantic
Pieces of You is the debut album by singer/songwriter Jewel, released in 1995. Though it made little impact initially, "Who Will Save Your Soul" eventually received airplay and the album sold over 12 million copies in the USA, making it one of the best selling debut albums ever.
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Pieces Of You Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 09, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is totally original and folksy. Jewel was struggling with the sound of this album and she had somewhat poor recording. She did most of the songs in front of a live audience and it mostly consisted of just her and her acoustic guitar, and she did some of them with a full band. The sound of this album is soo rare. Jewel totally captures the view of a solo artist. She just plays and plays and has that empty but powerful sound, like it's her against the world. The sound is beautiful and sometimes off beat, but it goes so great with her voice. // 10

Lyrics: Jewel has a great voice. Very young, very fresh, very melodic. The lyrics are simply explaining all the issues of the world. Losing a loved one, lifestyles, love, people going through drastic lifestyle changes. Her lyrics are so meaningful in this album that it is almost impossible not to feel something. She points out life, makes it so obvious to everyone. The things that we overlook in life, and in some songs it makes me cry. Jewel is simply an amazing lyricist, there are no words to describe it. She makes me think so much. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that Jewel can't really compare to anyone. But if I had to choose someone I would say that norah jones can fill her shoes. I would like to see them perform together, oh and sarah mclachlan. But that's it. Jewel has changed over the years but this album is by far the best. It's so original and so beautiful..the only thing I don't like about the album is "You Were Meant For Me", the one on the music video is much better than the album version, but it's not a big deal, but other than that this album is so great. Just wake up in the morning, put on a cup of coffee and put this album on, this is great music here. Jewel knows how to tug at your heart strings, just blow your mind and jerk your tears. If this album were stolen I would buy it back and ask the person who stole it how he/she liked it. // 10

Comments