Axis: Bold as Love review by Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix: Axis: Bold as Love

I don't think there's much in terms of a story behind it, I mean it's no concept album of the likes of Coheed & Cambria or Pink Floyd's The Wall. It's a straightforward psychedelic rock album, as you would come to expect from Jimi Hendrix and his band. This album mixes up the steady paced rock tunes and the slower mellow songs that give you a well rounded spectrum of the Hendrix experience. Little Wing, one of his more famous songs, is on this album, among a couple other underrated hits. I myself didn't really like the slower tunes, I would have much rather have heard more of the upbeat rock songs and more of Hendrix's frantic improv-style soloing.

The lyrics themselves are solid. Hendrix is a man of imagination so you'll come to hear some genuinely cool and interesting stuff on this album. Not all of it makes sense, but that's half of the Hendrix magic. Hendrix is both a singer and a guitarist, so a lot of songs sound like the guitar parts and vocal melodies correspond, and then break away in some parts, or vocals drop out completely for a few seconds for a small few-second solo.

It's a solid Hendrix album, but to me it doesn't stack up with Electric Ladyland. My favorites from this record include Little Wing, Spanish Castle MAgic, and If 6 Was 9. I love the raw sound of the Experience, but I hate the sometimes pointless vocals from the other members of the band, which to be honest, sounds like crap and out of place.

aig91
    Awesome album. You cannot call yourself a Hendrix fan if you've never heard this album before.