Axis: Bold as Love review by Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix: Axis: Bold as Love

Hendrix's sound on this album is phenomenal. Before hearing this album, I had never really opened my ears. Like most of Hendrix's material, you have to listen through a few times to get a feel for the album. Hendrix would go into the recording studio, and record straight for four hours, before coming out of the booth and listening to what he had recorded. He introduced some monster effects to the world with this album. He even recorded a solo and had it played backwards on 'Castles Made Of Sand'.

Hendrix's lyrics, as usual, make no sense if you take them at face value. You have to listen to them properly, and take into perspective how he's playing his guitar. Hendrix, what with playing and singing, seems to incorporate the two into the vocals, sometimes letting the guitar do all that is necessary. Of course the lyrics fit with the music, this is Hendrix we're talking about. He had the awesome ability to sing and play very well at the same time, though he always believed he couldnt sing, and refused to for a lot of his early career.

I personally think this is the best Hendrix album ever made. It beats the commercialism of Electric Ladyland hands down. This album was an eye opener to me. It allowed to me appreciate music on a greater level. My favourite tracks on the album are 'Castles made of Sand', 'One Rainy Wish', and 'Little Miss Lover'. I love how this album just seems to work, especially when, at first glance, it appears to be a mismatch of material starting with that very strange introduction 'exp', and finally getting round to 'bold as love'. I don't especially hate anything about this album, apart from the way that I know people who own the album and only listen to 'Little Wing' and 'If 6 Was 9'. If this album were stolen or lost, I would go straight out and buy it again in a heartbeat. It's one of those albums you can listen to over and over, and you'll pick up on something new everytime. This album will never get boring.