Band of Gypsys review by Jimi Hendrix

• Released: Mar 25, 1970
Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsys

This is Hendrix unncomerical, bluesy soulful music, just him and his guitar. If you are expecting anything even like "Foxy Lady" or "Purple Haze" run away, this is all blues. His guitar innovations on the epic "Machine Gun" especially have never been matched. The recording of this never has been all that good though based on the live atmosphere, so thats the only reason I am taking of points.

Hmm, lyrics, not really what this album is based around. "Machine Gun" is heart felt and has a good message about what it would feel like to be in the Veitnam War. "Evil man, he make me kill you, evil man, make you kill me, even though we're only families apart".... "I know all the time your wrong baby, and you'll be going just the same, three times the pain, so let your bullets fly like rain." Beautiful. "Message to Love" has a great message, a well written song about aspiring to your goals and beliefs. "Power of Soul" is a good little blues number about not getting too high on drugs. "Changes" and "We've got to live together" are Buddy Miles soulful outputs, and "Who knows" well who knows what those lyrics are about. Not why I love this album but certainly not bad.

This is my favorite Hendrix album, it is him, at his most soulful, bluesy, and raw. This is what it sounds like to rip your heart out and play it through a guitar. I can not recomend this album enough to anybody who loves feeling in their music. The guitar playing on this album seems to be almost all adlibbed and just shows his genius. 6 blues masterpeices to me, throw in "Red House" and "Hear my Train a Comin" from other albums and there was no reason for anybody to play the blues again. This album is it done to perfection. Definitely worth buying.