Band of Gypsys review by Jimi Hendrix

• Released: Mar 25, 1970
Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsys

First of all, I will say that this album is a great, but very short, live album. As far as the band's sound on this album, all three of them sound great on it. Jimi's guitar tone, rhythm and lead playing all sound fantastic. This is probably Jimi's tone at its best. Billy Cox is tight in the mix. Buddy Miles' drumming is powerful, like a machine gun (no pun intended), and his vocals are a nice change to Jimi Hendrix's. This band is very tight live. They put together some great songs for this album. The songs come from a huge list of 4 shows. Even if it is short, the songs on this album are some great ones.

Of Jimi Hendrix's other lyrics from other albums, I would actually say that this album has some pretty good ones. They are some simple, rock n' roll lyrics in there, but there are also some deeper lyrics. The lyrics of the songs compliment the band's sound on this album. Jimi's singing is the same deep and masculine voice as before, complimenting his rhythm guitar playing. Buddy Miles' vocals are a nice change of pace when they appear.

Seeing as this is a live album, I hate to compare it to the studio releases of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. On one hand, I rank this album as high because it has great songs on it. As I mention in other reviews, I am annoyed by weak filler songs that bands throw in to make the album longer. I usually skip over a few songs after a few listens to get to the songs I really like on the album. I don't really skip over any of the songs on this album. They are all great, in my opinion. This album is short, but it packs a punch and that's because it lacks any poor filler. It's all good songs. I would say this is a great live album and I would recommend it along with Axis: Bold as Love to anyone trying to get into Jimi Hendrix and to any classic rock buff. The most impressive songs on this album are Who Knows and Machine Gun. What I love about this album is the great live sound of all three of the members and the cool new songs on it. What I don't like is that some of it is cut down from the original concerts, getting rid of some of the nice little in-between songs commentary of Jimi. Overall, this is a great album and worth a few listens.

Matt_E_Man
    Whoa, message of love is a great song. you just need to get passed the initial part. The guitar work on it is just stunning. Every song on the Album is awesome.