Electric Ladyland review by Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland

This is Jimi Hendrix at his best. And the sound quality from this album is absolutely fantastic, very well produced and mixed, the sound quality enhances the feeling of songs like 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return), 'Rainy Day Dream Away' and 'Little Miss Strange'. To be honest, I think this album has the best sound quality out of all the CDs I own. Jimi plays some face melting solos on this album and his Stratocaster sounds fantastic. The drums are really good as well, Mitch Mitchell plays a cool solo in the song 'Voodoo Chile'.

The lyrics were extremely well written, although sometimes you do not have a clue about what Hendrix is singing about, But there are some very catchy lines in some songs like 'Well I pick up all the pieces and make an island' and 'I stand up next to a mountain, and knock it down with the edge of my hand'. Jimi Hendrix is not my favorite singer of all time, but his vocal style really suit's this psychedelic and blues rock feel of the album. Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding do a good job on backing vocals on songs like 'Crosstown Traffic' and 'Little Miss Strange'.

Jimi Hendrix really changed the direction of music in the late 1960s. His rival artists were The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but The Jimi Hendrix Experience created a whole new sound, making guitars do things that they'd never done before. The best songs on this album are 'Crosstown Traffic', 'Voodoo Chile', a Bob Dylan cover of 'All Along the Watchtower' and the almighty 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return). What I love about this album is that the sound quality is great and the guitar playing is like nothing else in that era. I hate some of the one minute instrumentals, '... And the Gods Made Love' and 'Moon, Turn the Tides... Gently Gently Away'. I don't know what it is about them but they just take up space and they are a waste of time in my opinion, but I suppose they are there to continue the feel of the album. But overall this is one hell of an album and it blew me away when I listened to it.